Xenon 2:Megablast is proving its way to the Atari Jaguar

Started by Greyfox, August 24, 2015, 19:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davyk

I had the Megadrive version of this and it was bloody awful. One of the few games I have actually ever binned.

TrekMD

Yes, I decided to support it only because of the professional packaging and the fact that it is a cart release.  My understanding is the game itself is pretty good.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

AmigaJay

It's a pretty average shooter tbh on whatever format, i only used to replay it for the music! Nice the Jag is getting a cart release though.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

I'm looking forward to receiving this. Ordered multiple copies and can't wait to breathe some new life into the Jag. From the project's inception to it finally shipping is rather unbelievable to conceive on some level. An ST game in 'full' production for a system a few generations later by editing some binary-not even the source code. Amazing.
I've never played it before on any system and my expectations aren't deluded by any means. Just happy to have another nice piece of software to run on the cat. Great stuff! Looking forward to more releases like this at some point 8)

TrekMD

Saturn

Saturn

My games arrived yesterday and I have to say, this game is difficult but fun. Spoilers ahead 8)

[spoiler]Tip While holding the fire button is nice, you can rifle off shots faster by repeatedly pressing it in those tight situations.
Level one boss Some kind of shellfish w/ a 'tude. Pummel him from beneath to make short work of this crustaceous dipwad.
Advice at midway shop in Stage 1: You can't take it with you
Advice at the shop at the end of Stage 1: Buy Double Shot (and also) Kill the eyes

The level 2 boss Coast along to its 'rear end' and blow the eyes off of it then make your way back down to take him out. Side Shot is a MUST for this as he hibernates if you go below and center of him at the south edge of the 'island' he's nesting on and fire from there. He's not off screen but your shots won't do jack.
Advice at first midway in Stage 2: Buy Power Up (and also) Move close to the Wake Spider
Advice at the shop at the end of Stage 2: Buy Laser (and also) Figure of Eight

Level 3 Side Shot doesn't return automatically so re-purchase as it can make all the difference in the world during the first half of this stage. Don't touch the midpoint 'crab' boss during the battle. One hit wipes out your ship :0
Advice at the midway shop in Stage 3: Left Right Left (and also) Buy Rear Shot
Take the left, right, left path as mentioned in the advice or lose your a*s backtracking after meeting dead ends..
Level 3 boss A snake looking (mechanical?) thing that zips around entering any of 3 caves/holes at the left, right and top of the screen while spewing projectiles. Stick and move!
Advice at the shop at the end of Stage 3: Heads and Tails (and also) Buy Cannon

Level 4 midway boss Side Shot returned without being re-purchased.. weird. If not, it's a must. Coast to the top/rear of the boss, taking out the little dragon heads as you go with the Side Shot. Hang to the bottom of the screen and fire at the tail as it waves back in front of you. Easy enough. When the screen starts to automatically drift back down toward the head, stay out of its reach. One hit can decimate your ship. Full health or not. Moving back and forth along the bottom of the screen worked best for me 8)
Advice at the midway shop in Stage 4: Buy Rear Shot (can buy it twice :P )
Level 4 boss Sneak over at the highest part of the screen, take out an eye between 'tongue' slashes' then move cautiously to the other side when it retracts the tongue completely. It's only gone for a couple seconds and I've found the bottom of the screen was safest. One touch from the wrecking ball looking thingy on the end will destroy your ship. No life bar reduction, no "almost killed me", just death. Once the eyes are gone light up the 'mouth' from a safe distance to beat this brutal madness.
Advice at the shop at the end of Stage 4: Buy Laser (and also) Don't hang back from tanks

Level 5 Avoid the laser barriers at all costs. One touch will end a ship with full health :0
Level 5 midway boss A tank on steroids. Keep reversing slightly to stay away from the bottom edge of battle platform and fire away with prejudice. Or, as much as you can while constantly dodging the plethora of projectiles hurdling toward you ??? Take out the turrets first..
Advice at the midway shop in Stage 5: Don't wait in channels (can buy it twice :P )
Level 5 boss Shimmy up either side of the screen, preferably with Side Shot, Rear Shot & Homing Missiles to take out the many turrets, then shimmy down the other side of the screen taking out what couldn't be destroyed on the first pass. Then go to town from the bottom center.

Ending
The shop displays one last time with no way to sell or buy anything. The Shopkeeper says "Well, that's it viewers. Don't forget to turn off your set... Was it good enough for you ?" and after a few seconds the screen closes.
A black screen appears with a single dot in the middle. After a few seconds of inability to do anything, with no warning or congrats, Level 1 loads again :o

Edit; added list below
Here's a list of items/weapons and their cost:
1.1 Advice-200
1.2 Speedup-500
1.3 Health Power 1-500
1.4 Autofire-500
1.5 Super Nashwan Power-600

2.1 Health Power 2-1000
2.2 Rear Shot-1000
2.3 Mine-1000
2.4 Side Shot-1000
2.5 Electro Ball-1200

3.1 Powerup-2000
3.2 Mine-3000
3.3 Double Shot-3000
3.4 Cannon-4000
3.5 Dive-4000

4.1 Missile Launcher-4000
4.2 Laser-4000
4.3 Drone-4500
4.4 Flamer-5000
4.5 MORE-switch to additional item screen

5.1 Bomb-5500
5.2 Extra Life-6000
5.3 Homing Missile-6000
5.4 Protection-6000
5.5 Bitmap Shades-6000
The Advice is half price on the final Level ;) [/spoiler]

TrekMD

Check out this interview at Arcade Attack with Gary Taylor.  He helped publish the recent Bitmap Brothers classic Xenon 2 Jaguar port:  Xenon 2 â€" Jaguar (Gary Taylor) â€" Feature.