Jaguar Fault! Have you seen this before?

Started by JoeMusashi, February 04, 2017, 20:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeMusashi

Hi guys! Not been around the retro community for a bit due to limited time but managed to dig out my Jaguar today for a blast.
Unfortunately it appears to be knackered and before I start poking around in it I thought I'd post here first.

The power LED illuminates as soon as I apply the PSU input. Pressing the power button has no effect, the LED stays on regardless (power button does seem to be 'clicking' between on/off states). This happens with and without a cartridge in.
Its not acting as though its powered normally either, as I cant tune it into the TV.

What do you think about that? On face value it doesn't appear to be any of the common faults.
Anyone know of any good resources I can check out, or have seen this issue before?

All the best!

TrekMD

Good to see you back!  Sorry that you're having issues with your Jaguar.  I can't really help you as I have no idea how to fix any of these consoles.  I hope someone else here can give you some feedback.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Never heard of that problem before, it's a strange one. Sorry, no idea what could be causing it.

JoeMusashi

Yeah it's strange one. Hopefully I can get it sorted as this particular machine has some sentimental value attached.
As an aside, I've installed Tapatalk in an attempt to keep in touch with the forum [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrekMD

Good luck fixing the console. Cool on Tapatalk.  :)

Saturn

I've never heard of that issue before either. Wish I could help but no idea what could be causing it.

zapiy

I think you need to open it up but I suspect the latching of the switch is jammed on I would say, could also have HR and if I am correct it controls the 5V + & -

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

You da man zapiy. Save the pus... kitty!
Lol

zapiy

I ain't saying that's the fix but to have power past the switch I would certainly say that's faulty.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

I hear that. May not be a fix but definitely a step in the right direction. The rest of us didn't have a single suggestion so any help is better than none.
I hate when a Jaguar is broken and even more when there's no solution or ideas on how to fix it. Grateful for the info in case the same ever happens on my end. Great stuff!

JoeMusashi

Cheers Zap. Is a jammed switch something you've seen before?
I'll try this later in the week as I'm just heading out of the country (currently having a brew in the terminal). Jag is already in pieces in kitchen. Wife is very happy about that... [emoji85]

zapiy

Switches are a common failure point in our line of work, not suggesting the Jag does but a brief search on google I found a couple of sites suggesting the console does suffer with switch failure.

JoeMusashi

Hmm......
LED on with switch completely removed

JoeMusashi

Although I've found some suspicious looking corrosion near U13

TrekMD