Atari 5200 Gauntlet

Started by TrekMD, June 28, 2012, 22:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

For anyone who may be interested, preorders for Gauntlet for the Atari 5200 are being taken right now here:  http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/199703-gauntlet-pre-order-and-playable-demo/

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

I was just reading about this actually!

Great to see Gauntlet on another system, big favourite of mine!

I look forward to your review  ;D

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"I was just reading about this actually!

Great to see Gauntlet on another system, big favourite of mine!

This is another one of my favorite games.  I now play it on my DS but it will be much better on the 5200. 

Quote from: "The Laird"I look forward to your review  ;)  :P

TL

I noticed that nobody on AA can be bothered to actually upload a screenshot so I stuck the demo on an emulator earlier and grabbed one:

It's pretty good but the scrolling is horrible and it really lacks colour. I also noticed that when you fire you don't really see the weapon, seems like it needs more work to me before he releases it.

TrekMD

Thanks for posting the screen cap.  Apparently, the scrolling is what it is.  It was already stated that it will not be changed.  A 7800 version taking advantage of the XM would be great.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Thanks for posting the screen cap.  Apparently, the scrolling is what it is.  It was already stated that it will not be changed.  A 7800 version taking advantage of the XM would be great.

I wish the long lost 7800 version would show up, it looked excellent when I saw it in a magazine back in the day  :'(

Feel free to post that screenshot on AA if you like.

TrekMD

well, Dark Chambers looks superb, I'm sure Gauntlet would look great as well.  I've never seen a picture the 7800 Gauntlet, I believe.  Or I can't remember seeing one, at least.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"well, Dark Chambers looks superb, I'm sure Gauntlet would look great as well.  I've never seen a picture the 7800 Gauntlet, I believe.  Or I can't remember seeing one, at least.

There isn't one on the net, nobody seems to have the original magazine article although many people remember it.

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"well, Dark Chambers looks superb, I'm sure Gauntlet would look great as well.  I've never seen a picture the 7800 Gauntlet, I believe.  Or I can't remember seeing one, at least.

There isn't one on the net, nobody seems to have the original magazine article although many people remember it.
That sucks.  Maybe someone will decide to also make it for the 7800...from scratch!

TrekMD

I just got this cart today!  I'll have to give it a spin soon, though I've read a lot of complaints about it. 

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"I just got this cart today!  I'll have to give it a spin soon, though I've read a lot of complaints about it.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"I just got this cart today!  I'll have to give it a spin soon, though I've read a lot of complaints about it.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

They'll be coming.  :)

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Rogue Trooper

Last ATARI version of Gauntlet i played was on the 800XL-on tape no less, took an age to load (if i was lucky, Boot error so close to loading each time really killed interest).At the time, having never played the coin-op, was taken in by the hype (and just glad to see a full price release on A8).

Will we ever see the game done justice on an Atari system? (not counting Gauntlet 3 on Lynx as that was something different).

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Last ATARI version of Gauntlet i played was on the 800XL-on tape no less, took an age to load (if i was lucky, Boot error so close to loading each time really killed interest).At the time, having never played the coin-op, was taken in by the hype (and just glad to see a full price release on A8).

Will we ever see the game done justice on an Atari system? (not counting Gauntlet 3 on Lynx as that was something different).

Gauntlet II on the ST is a simply amazing game, especially in 4-player mode!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FUL1R4KHAc