The History of the Atari Jaguar

Started by TrekMD, December 04, 2016, 23:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

The Atari Jaguar. The world's first 64 bit games console. Do the Math. This is how the Atari Jaguar was sold. Launched initially in 1993 in North America, and then the rest of the world in 1994, the Jaguar was a machine which seemed to skip an entire generation of games consoles. While everyone else was playing around with their 16 bits or even 32 bits, Atari smashed it out of the park with 64. Many claimed that it wasn't a true 64 bit console, but with a 64 bit data bus, it really does slot into the common definition of 64 bit, it's just a shame that bits aren't the only gauge of a machine's abilities, and not long after, the Playstation and Saturn would wash away Atari's final hopes and dreams. Still, it's a drastically under-rated console, which could have performed so much more than developers had the time or inclination for. Thankfully a few games, such as Alien vs. Predator and Tempest 2000 show us it's true abilities and are as much fun to play today as ever. Check out this quest through time charting the story of Atari and their doomed 64 bit console, including the Jaguar's little brother, the Atari Panther and the range of consoles that came before and paved the way. Also if you're looking for Jaguar games, then you won't be disappointed.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Cryptic33

Seen this before and it does give a reasonable explanation of what has transpired with some lovely footage. The Jaguar will always be something of an enigma which, I don't mind. Thanks Trek.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

Glad you enjoyed it.  I thought it was well done. 

Cryptic33

Quote from: TrekMD on December 06, 2016, 20:26:48 PM
Glad you enjoyed it.  I thought it was well done. 
It is, I particularly liked the game coverage and though the demise is sad, he offsets that with coverage of the later titles and the better homebrews. Still a fascinating console with a fine pedigree.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TrekMD

It sure is a fascinating console that truly failed to realize its potential back then.  Poor planning on Atari's part did not help.

Saturn

I missed this post back in December. Watching now and up to the 15 minute mark. Pretty interesting and detailed info here 8)
Will check out the rest at work tomorrow lol

Cryptic33

Quote from: Saturn on March 13, 2017, 04:39:26 AM
I missed this post back in December. Watching now and up to the 15 minute mark. Pretty interesting and detailed info here 8)
Will check out the rest at work tomorrow lol
Yes, the first half seems to track the history of the consoles of that time which lead up to the launch of the Jaguar. I really liked the TV footage which, despite what some think, was fair in its appraisal of the Jaguar, highlighting great games like AvP. When you watch the rest, again it seems fair albeit sad then a little uplifting near the end. God knows, the story of the Jaguar would make for a great Disney film if, like me, you can think a little in abstract terms 😉 I hope you get to watch the rest and enjoy it Saturn.

Saturn

Great video. Around the 38 minute mark he said that Hasbro released the rights to it, as if they did it willy nilly out of the goodness of their hearts or something. Failed to mention Doug Engal constantly lobbying for its public release and all the contacting he did with them to make it happen. I'm assuming because 4 Play had BS to release and couldn't legally with the name Jaguar, etc. So, slight missing piece of info there and possibly more.
Showing those homebrews was fantastic. As well as the statement about the Jag's power vs the Playstation. Excellent stuff and I'm just glad the machine lives on with the last two years being some of the best in the last 2 decades (imo)  :)

Also noticed that in one segment he said the Panther would've probably failed against the competition of the time and put the Jaguar further behind the PS1 and 3DO (to fail faster) and in another segment said it was a mistake to put all their money on the Jaguar. So, which is it? Push them both and kill them faster or go with the more powerful machine to utilize the remaining funds more responsibly? Sounds like a corporate yes man or attorney covering both scenarios to stay safe lol. I believe they did the best they could in the environment (delays, upcoming releases of competition, lack of money, etc.) Not defending the Tramiels bc I don't know them from Adam but if I was taking a stab at something that potentially volatile (releasing a new system) I'd do all I could til the bitter end too 8)

TrekMD

Here is another video looking at the history of the Jaguar...