Jonathan Cauldwell Interview Questions Needed.

Started by zapiy, September 13, 2016, 09:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Jonathan Cauldwell began writing games for the ZX Spectrum computer in the 1980's.  Several were published, the most famous of which were probably Egghead and Egghead to the Rescue, which appeared on Crash powertapes in 1990.  The ZX Spectrum died as a mainstream games machine in 1993, but if you owned one of these machines in the years leading up to that time, the chances are you've played at least one of his games.

Fast forward to today, and he is still producing games for the machine.  One of the most prolific homebrewers around today so please post any questions you may have for Jonathan here.

Here is a selection of some of Jonathan's games.

Albatrossity
Anno Domini
Arcade Game Designer
Area 51
A.Y. Tracker
Battery's Not Precluded
Blizzard's Rift
Byte Me
Christmas Cracker
Coracle
Crazy Golf
Dead or Alive
Demolition
Demolition + Crazy Golf
Egghead
Encyclopaedia Galactica
Factory Daze
Fantastic Mister Fruity, The
Gamex
Gloop
Haunted House
Homebrew
Intro Maker
Izzy Wizzy
Jet Set Willy 16K
Kilopede
Loco Bingo
Lunaris
Megablast!
More Tea, Vicar?
Phibian
Pipework
Platform Game Designer
Rallybug
Retro Fusion Game, The
S.E.U.D.
ShellShock
Squamble
Super Fruit Machine
Turbomania
Utter Tripe
Vigilante Patrol

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

I know of Jonathan's work, but I never owned a Speccy back in the day, maybe run this questionnaire on the FB page or Twitter? Or some of the spectrum FB groups?

psj3809

Jonathans an amazing developer for the Speccy. Got most of his games above and met him a few times.

Would like to know his favourite game hes created himself and why.

Love the Egghead game and many others of his. Its great the years 2016 and you still see so many homebrew games developed for the Speccy

zapiy

Nice one fella..

I have a fair few questions here.

What got you into making the various game creators you have made?

Which game or games of yours would you say are the most technically advanced?

Tell us about your first venture into programming, what was the game you created and on what computer was it?

Pipework and Super Fruit Machine were two games I played probably a bit to much back in the day, how did these games come about and how did they come to the market?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC