SNES Mini Hacked

Started by zapiy, October 11, 2017, 20:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ArcadeAction

You may all have read that it can now dual boot the NES Classic as well so you can choose between SuperNES or NES and play both systems. I happened to pick one up on launch day. I was coincidentally walking in a mall before opening and I saw two people standing outside of a GameStop, not thinking anything of it I walked by. A couple minutes later it occurred to me that it was launch day and they were probably in line for the system. I went back and got in line and there was a sign posted outside saying they had 10 in stock for walk-in purchase. I was #4 in line so I figured I would pick one up. I think the system is great, the controllers are right on and a good value for the cost. The games run so well, and the rewind and save point feature adds a lot of enjoyment to play through games that you've probably played before in the past and now just want the enjoyment of playing as much as the challenge.

dot.fyre

It looks really nice and the controllers are good.
But did Ghouls & Ghosts slow down that badly?

I have added Atari 2600/Megadrive/PC Engine and Gameboy Advance - all seem to work fine.
But...........since I hacked it I'm feeling more annoyed that I paid £70 for it.
I could've got a raspberry pi setup with a wireless controller for less.

ArcadeAction

Quote from: dot.fyre on October 17, 2017, 10:07:48 AM
It looks really nice and the controllers are good.
But did Ghouls & Ghosts slow down that badly?

I have added Atari 2600/Megadrive/PC Engine and Gameboy Advance - all seem to work fine.
But...........since I hacked it I'm feeling more annoyed that I paid £70 for it.

Yeah, Ghouls & Ghosts and many SuperNES games did have slow down. The games play so similarily I have not yet noticed the difference. I haven't compared my carts running side by side to the SuperNES Classic yet, though no detail has jumped out at me as being different yet.

zapiy

Amazing how quickly this stuff gets hacked.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I'm sure some folks were lined up to get one JUST for that very reason! 

Vadergb

I think its a great hack, Ive only added additional snes games but the fact it uses the Nintendo interface and emulation is all good.

Nice to connect to the Elgato and stream the games.

Lorfarius

It's well worth doing. I've decided no to go overboard and just stuck around an extra 20 games on, real classics like Addams Family.

TrekMD

That's cool.  I guess doing the hack is like what I had done with the Intellivision Flashback.  It was changed to the Ultimate Intellivision Flashback and it is full of games.  :)

ArcadeAction

I find the "emulation" of the SuperNES and NES games so much more superior than anything that is on the RPi and you get real official Nintendo controllers. I think these are an absolute bargain. Converting into 1991 dollars, this $80 system in 2018 is only about $44 in 1991 dollars... AND it comes stock with 21 games and two controllers... AND a nice interface... AND you can load tons of other games on it... pretty great.

My only issue with it is it would be great to have it connect to a CRT through RGB.

I'm in the far minority here, but... in 2008 when the signal changed to HD broadcast, I stopped watching TV. I really haven't watched for 10 years and I haven't had any TV service since. HD TV is good. I just really liked the dark contrast tubes. LCD always seemed cheap and fake to me... except for computers. There is no motion-trail for sprites. It isn't alive like analog. For older games, the motion-trail added so much depth to the graphics... so much so that they were even FEATURED in the NES box art, especially for the black box NES games.

Eventually, possibly all technology will return to analog when we learn to control it. Analogue has a sense of "undefined" and there is magic/power/beauty in it. When we understand analogue, we'll see just how limited and basic digital is. Compare a 35mm camera film. The amount of megapixels it takes to match the quality is incredible.

Spector

Quote from: ArcadeAction on June 08, 2018, 04:54:20 AM

I find the "emulation" of the SuperNES and NES games so much more superior than anything that is on the RPi and you get real official Nintendo controllers. I think these are an absolute bargain. Converting into 1991 dollars, this $80 system in 2018 is only about $44 in 1991 dollars... AND it comes stock with 21 games and two controllers... AND a nice interface... AND you can load tons of other games on it... pretty great.

My only issue with it is it would be great to have it connect to a CRT through RGB.

I'm in the far minority here, but... in 2008 when the signal changed to HD broadcast, I stopped watching TV. I really haven't watched for 10 years and I haven't had any TV service since. HD TV is good. I just really liked the dark contrast tubes. LCD always seemed cheap and fake to me... except for computers. There is no motion-trail for sprites. It isn't alive like analog. For older games, the motion-trail added so much depth to the graphics... so much so that they were even FEATURED in the NES box art, especially for the black box NES games.

Eventually, possibly all technology will return to analog when we learn to control it. Analogue has a sense of "undefined" and there is magic/power/beauty in it. When we understand analogue, we'll see just how limited and basic digital is. Compare a 35mm camera film. The amount of megapixels it takes to match the quality is incredible.

Basically I agree with you on analogue being better than digital aesthetically. It's true for vinyl over CD's and it's true for CRT televisions over LCD.
DEATH TO SUGAR