Author Topic: Freeze 64 a new C64 Fanzine.  (Read 2597 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Freeze 64 a new C64 Fanzine.
« on: August 29, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »

From the C64endings/Hackersoft team comes this NEW A5 full colour, gloss cover, 28 page, Commodore 64 gaming/coding fanzine, which is now available to ORDER.

Here's what's in issue 1:

COVER FEATURE: We have a special feature on Gremlin Graphics’ wonderful platform game Monty on the Run, providing you with some useful tips and POKES that will unlock a few hidden features.
    CODER'S CORNER: We have an exclusive interview with the proficient C64 coder of the moment, Georg Rottensteiner, who is responsible for coding top titles such as Barnsley Badger, Soulless and Guns ‘n’ Ghosts.
    WALKING THROUGH WALLS: ‘Walking Through Walls’ is something you’ve always wanted to do in games, but how is it achieved, and what REALLY lies beyond those dastardly walls of death? Well in our special ‘Walking Through Walls’ feature we reveal all.
    NEW RELEASES - POKES & CHEATS: New releases need new POKES and cheats and so we've got some exclusive cheats for Barnsley Badger, QIE IIm, Platman, Hessian, Honey Bee and Eye of the Gods.
    GAME ENDING FOCUS: In each issue we will reveal one of the best game endings available for the C64 starting with Jon Wells’ Blitz 3000. It’s definitely a corker!
    CENTRE-FOLD MAP: A full-colour map of TIGER CLAW 16KB version
    HOW TO POKE: A guide explaining how to use and set-up the Action Replay Cartridge so that you can use POKES with Commodore 64 emulators
    SECRET SQUIRREL REVEALS ALL: We reveal some hilarious hidden messages that game coders have left in their code!
    THE HACKERSOFT PADS: Over the past 5 years we have been hacking games and filling up notebooks with unpublished cheats and codes. But now it's time to share these codes with you all.

... all this and more wrapped up in a full colour Commodore 64 fanzine.

More info here http://www.c64endings.freeolamail.com/freeze64/freeze64.htm
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline howardknibbs

• View Profile
Re: Freeze 64 a new C64 Fanzine.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 06:46:18 AM »
Highly recommended - I have issue 2 as well and also very good.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 14:28:09 PM »
Now reviewed HERE
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
Looks awesome, thanks for the info, although you could have posted this earlier ;D

The C64 is still my favorite computer of all time, growing up wit it, got one in 1984 and fell in love straight away. After that of course it was the big brother Amiga!

I only know about the magazine Lotek64, which has already 56 issues, but only in pdf format, but for free, you can download them all at http://lotek64.com/hp/index.php, only problem (not for me though) is that it's german only.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 17:11:10 PM »
Won't take you long to translate them for us lol  ;D

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »
Won't take you long to translate them for us lol  ;D
Nope, if I have some spare time, I'll get to work. I can also translate the to French, if anybody here would need that :D

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 20:04:12 PM »
I was only joking fella..

No way I'd expect you to do that.

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
I was only joking fella..

No way I'd expect you to do that.
I know mate ;D was kidding too.

Just ordered the first issue of Freeze 64. Wanted to get them all, but decided to get one mag first to check it out, I’m collecting way too much.

I own every issue of Retro Gamer, 1-178 at the moment, I think 178 is the latest.

I also have the German RETRO magazine, and a real great one which is called Return (https://www.return-magazin.de). Don’t have time to read them though :D But is not everything about collecting :D

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 13:58:01 PM »
I used to be the same, I aim on getting a few of the Freeze 64 ones..

I wont collect them all for the same reason I don't get loads of mags anymore due to space.

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 16:22:01 PM »
True, space is always a big issue.

I recently (2 years ago) sold basically almost all of my stuff, had around 50-60 computers and consoles stacked on shelves collecting dust. I only kept, for the moment, from PS2 upwards, but also still have 1 or 2 PS1 respectively PSOne and a Dreamcast. I still have pictures from before the sale, I can post them here.

Btw, what’s a good FREE image hosting site? I always used Photobucket, but it’s payable now since some months, and I’m definitely not paying for it.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:46 AM »
Imgur is a good one.

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Thanks, gonna move my pictures then there from Photobucket. Have some time at work next week ;)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
And please tell us your thoughts on the Fanzine when you get it mate.

Offline DeadVoivod

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Classicamiga
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »
Got my copy, issue 1, and went through it.

I'm a bit disappointed, what I didn't know, or didn't read before ordering, was that the magazine is in A5 format, which I don't like at all, pictures are way too small, barely can identify them.

The content of the magazine is also shallow, first 11 pages about cheating with pokes, can easily look that up online, then 2 pages about game endings, again a perfect site for this is C64 endings, then a 2 page map of a game, which like mentioned before is unreadable because of the A5 format, pictures being 2x3.5 cm.

After that we have 4 pages of the coder's corner, interview with Georg Rottensteiner which is an interesting read, followed by 2 pages of How to Poke, which again fits the first 11 pages of poking, which is at least a bit more interesting as just the pokes themselves.

And lastly we have a section called Secret Squirrel, which for me is the most interesting part, about hidden messages in code. Some funny stuff appearing. Sadly this one is only 2 pages long.

Last 2 pages are about his hacker pads, which don't seem interesting for me, as I also used to have such stuff, but why would I bother showing it to the public, as it's a personal quite uninteresting and boring thing. And again it could fit with the first pages as it is about hacks and pokes.

So being in that A5 format, and covering half magazine about pokes, it definitely is a pass for me, at least this issue, and for the price, I can get other magazines, I paid 5.75£ with shipping, quite pricey.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:29:01 AM by DeadVoivod »

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »
Yeah I know what your saying and those points are valid but I approached this much differently than you would if reviewing a mag with money behind them as a large company. This fanzine is the love of a one man band and so reviewing it in that light makes this such a great purchase.

Could many people create something like that?  I’m not so sure they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal