The Launch of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Started by TrekMD, August 08, 2016, 02:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Found these series of videos on YouTube that I think would be great to share.  I'm going to start with the launch of one very popular system, the SNES!  Check out this video and join the discussion...

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

A fantastic insight to its launch and launch games, but he got it wrong with pilot wings, it used Nintendo''s DSP chip and not its mode 7 routine,  but it's a great video so many thanks for sharing that one.

TrekMD

Greyfox

zapiy

Fantastic video. Looking forward to watching more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

That was excellent. Didn't know much about Pilotwings other than the concept interested me back then. Never got around to buying or playing it but this video revealed that my expectations were spot on. Too bad it got lost amongst all the incredible titles that were released for the system. Think I'll track it down to add to the collection, if nothing else.

I'd played Super Mario World constantly until finally beating it.... once. I remember it being a long quest before and after school and on weekends. The toughest level being an on-rails side scrolling stage much like (if not the) one shown in the video with the chainsaw type enemies where Mario couldn't descend fast enough to avoid one of them. Took forever for me to beat it!

Ah, and F Zero. Played this until my fingers bled. Also, that stage 1 music he mentioned he associates with the game reminds me of when I'd party the night before, wake up with a pounding head and play this game for hours on end. Emblazoned in my memory as a sensory perception associated with that recurring event from those days, so it's a love/hate for me with that game now. (glad those days are long behind me now lol) Still have my original copy CIB and it'll probably stay in the box for the foreseeable future bc of that.

Thanks for enlightening me/us with these invaluable posts!

TrekMD

davyk

Pilotwings was the game that finally swung it for me in the SNES/MD purchase decision. It was quite an original game idea back then and there aren't many games around today that provide an equivalent experience. Pilotwings64 was a nice sequel but it didn't feel quite the same as the original - still waiting for a true sequel.

What a launch lineup in the PAL zone - Super Tennis, F-Zero and Super Mario World. We should be so lucky to have a trio like that at a launch nowadays.