Author Topic: Super Star Wars  (Read 1906 times)

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
Super Star Wars
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:14:33 AM »
So, Super Star Wars on the SNES is my go to game at the moment whenever I get a few minutes to spare for gaming.
Currently I'm battling with the Sandcrawler level. There are some quite nasty platform sections toward the end (well I'm hoping its the end...!) with instant death waiting for you if your judgement is out! Hopefully I can beat this section tonight.
Also, the green laser barriers are a pain in the arse (or ass, if you like :^])

Anyone else feeling the love for this game and can anyone provide any tips?

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Super Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
Yes this was a massive Star Wars game when it arrived back in 1993, that sand crawler stage was an animal, I found a timed slide or sliding deals with those green laser barriers, be carful of the end of level boss, you have two little platforms to jump between or face instant death with the liquid steel or lava, I suggest trying to have the homing missile shot are the best weapon in the game as this homes in on anything no matter where you are on the screen ;)

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
Yes, I agree with the homing missiles. I try to keep those throughout the level.
Not looking forward to that boss then! I guess with the homing missiles you can just keep your finger planted on the shoot button and concentrate on the jumps...?

Its also worth mentioning that the rendition of John Williams score in this game is ace!

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 13:53:03 PM »
Ohh yeah, the musician rendition of the original score was incredible for the time across all three games, Sculptured Software knocked it out of the ball park, it lived the music and lived the trilogy experience on the SNES , very surprised the Sega MegaDrive never got any type of Starwars game until the 32x

Did you know that Super Starwars got an official port to PC's with cleaner graphics etc. check out this video to see it in action, I remember playing this and thinking wow, the pc's doing a better job, but they only ever released the first one, Empire and Jedi never made to cross over :(

www.youtube.com/watch?v=56tEe9PVAVk

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 14:28:02 PM »
Haven't played this in a long time but absolutely loved it when it came out. Can't really add any tips as Greyfox's seemed to cover the whole deal. I remember that Sandcrawler being a beast though and now I want to play it.
Guess I'll need to dig it out and take it for a spin.

Offline Deckard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 00:39:25 AM »
Great game, was so excited when it came out. I have never made it past the Cantina boss! The sandcrawler was always a bit of a bitch too. Homing missiles are pretty much the best weapon on every level.
Of the trilogy, I have only completed Return of the Jedi. Got pretty far but Empire is BRUTAL.

That being said, I havent tried the easy setting on the games (takes away the satisfaction of completion)

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 01:04:01 AM »
Ouch, I put all of mine on the easiest settings lolol. Add cheats if I can as well.
I was never a completionist (if that's a word) to play through legitimately. Takes too much time and skill but props to you for going the distance.
Helluva lot more hardcore than me 8)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Yeah, I think what made this game so great was how close it actually represented scene form the film, it had not being done like this before and essentially you were reliving the scenes of the movie , nearly scene by scene, but I'd love to know who thought it was a great idea to have that Sandcrawler level as hard as stone? It was ridiculously tough and you really did need to use the powers of the force just to complete that level. Funny enough it's not as hard after you complete it, it gets much easier. That until Super Empire Strikes back showed up..now that was super hard..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal