The Atari Falcon Thread

Started by TL, June 04, 2012, 14:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

This is a video from K Kart, an unfinished Mario Kart clone for the Falcon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xa6RPJ8ymA

onthinice

Funny how they are called Mario Kart clones.

DreamcastRIP

Quote from: "onthinice"Funny how they are called Mario Kart clones.

Your post reminded me of how often I've seen others refer to Breakout clones as being 'Arkanoid clones'. Grrrr!  >:( 8)
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

AmigaJay

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Your post reminded me of how often I've seen others refer to Breakout clones as being 'Arkanoid clones'. Grrrr!  >:( :D I think more often it's a refined version that is often remembered and used as a 'genre' clone.
As for Mario Kart clone, it's normally only used when games used the same rotation for the track similar to mode7 on the snes. Which obviously that Falcon game was based on.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "AmigaJay"
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"

Your post reminded me of how often I've seen others refer to Breakout clones as being 'Arkanoid clones'. Grrrr!  >:( :D I think more often it's a refined version that is often remembered and used as a 'genre' clone.
As for Mario Kart clone, it's normally only used when games used the same rotation for the track similar to mode7 on the snes. Which obviously that Falcon game was based on.

:-) Not as bad as when ever TV shows tried to show say a kid off shot or in shot but not acting, playing a videogame, i.e ANY videogame be it a MD or PS1, they'd put in sound FX from the NES!!

AmigaJay

Haha! Yeah I've noticed that!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

Apparently certain people are claiming that my Atari Falcon reviews on this site are based on You Tube videos, yes you did read that correctly. Somebody actually thinks you can review a game from watching a You Tube video  :24:

Just because somebody doesn't own a machine, doesn't mean they have never played on one. Don't see anyone questioning my Archimedes, NES or Master System reviews.

So I must have been dreaming about all those Jagfest events I attended and the multiple Falcons that filled the room. I must have imagined my friend Steve picking up the Falcon that can be seen on the NERG website. The two Falcons present at the last Revival (belonging to my friends Mark Branson and Nick Harlow) must have been an illusion and these photos were obviously done in photoshop:

[align=center:1fhzmxxf]

[/align:1fhzmxxf]

This Falcon from the previous Revival (belonging to the computer museum guys) is just a mirage:

[align=center:1fhzmxxf][/align:1fhzmxxf]

This photo from Jagfest UK in 2005 must be magic!

[align=center:1fhzmxxf][/align:1fhzmxxf]

I think you get the picture . . . . .

It's amazing some of the things I get accused of! Next somebody will be saying it was me and not 10PSEX who made the fake Atari Age page . . . OH WAIT!

zapiy

Lol who cares fella, you review them and thats all that matters..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "zapiy"Lol who cares fella, you review them and thats all that matters..

Sadly some people do. I just wanted to set the record straight.

guest5119

The bottom picture (with one Falcon with a red mouse mat) and the other with the TFT screen are actually Falcons that belong to myself and CiH. We're both active Atari sceners and regularly attend demoparties based abroad, such as Outline and Sillyventure. Here in the UK though we do have the multiformat Sundown demoparty and this is a recommended visit to anyone here on the forum who fancies doing something a bit different.

TL

Quote from: "felice"The bottom picture (with one Falcon with a red mouse mat) and the other with the TFT screen are actually Falcons that belong to myself and CiH. We're both active Atari sceners and regularly attend demoparties based abroad, such as Outline and Sillyventure. Here in the UK though we do have the multiformat Sundown demoparty and this is a recommended visit to anyone here on the forum who fancies doing something a bit different.

I thought one of those was yours! I have loads of old Jagfest photos, those were the days!

I wish I could have gone to Sillyventure but money was just too tight  :113:

Greyfox

Hey that's some photoshop skills right there  :21:

retromod

The Falcon was alittle bit a mystery. It was released at a time the PC completed it's domination at home and also in offices. It was a quite good piece of hardware but as usual too late and too expensive with less support.

Specially as the machines were not sold anymore by electronic shops it disappeared within weeks out of focus by potential customers. Atari provided no ads nor any distribution channel to keep customers informed.

During that time I went out of Atari Business as no projects was targeted for that platform, neither for Amiga or any other machine beside PC (my Acorn Archimedes was only an expensive hobby). I sold my complete Atari 8-Bit collection for about $500 on ebay. Followed by Amiga 1000, Atari 1040STF and all the other devices as there was no demand anymore. Previous customers offered me their old devices as switching to PC. But the business was simple dead with that machines.

Today a Falcon is very rare and auctions at ebay offers them for $500 or higher whereas Atari ST and TT are within the $20-$50 price range.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

Vyothric

From "Personal Computer World" November 1992.

TL