Meteor - an Asteroids Clone

Started by TrekMD, March 06, 2016, 15:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Did you know that Mattel had originally made an Asteroids clone for the Intellivision called Meteor?  

QuoteAstrosmash started out as a clone of the arcade game Asteroids, called Meteor!. The game wasn't very big, so John Sohl used the extra room in the cartridge to come up with a variation called Avalanche using the same graphics and sound effects. At the last minute, afraid of a lawsuit from Atari, the Mattel lawyers killed the Asteroids-like Meteor!. Rather than risk introducing bugs by deleting code, John simply put a branch around the opening-screen menu straight into the Avalanche! variation, which was released under the name Astrosmash. Very rarely, when there's a glitch hitting RESET, the Asteroids version will show up on screen.

Here is a video of Meteor in action...

https://youtu.be/GZpHkVChkug

It is possible to get the game to work more easily using the jzIntv emulator using the following steps:

Copy astro.bin to, say, "mod_astro.bin". Then, make a text file named "mod_astro.cfg" that contains simply:

[macro]
@p506A 0

You can then run "jzintv mod_astro.bin" and you should have the game menu enabled after the title screen. Press [1] then [Enter] for Astrosmash, or [2] then [Enter] for Meteor.

You can make the modification permanent by running "rom_merge" on the binary:

rom_merge mod_astro.bin astro_meteor.bin

That will write a new BIN+CFG for Astrosmash with Meteor permanently enabled. That should play in any emulator, not just jzIntv.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I had no idea it started out as an Asteroids clone. Cool story :)

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

It's really cool to see this!  It's too back it was never officially released as its own game.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

vandro

That's awesome. Although I couldn't believe the first death,  clearly the wrong asteroid to.shoot

TrapZZ

Neat, thanks for posting this!  Years ago I used the ECS to access the sprites from the cartridge, but I never could get the 'reset' glitch to work. 

Now I know what I was missing :)
Join my brother and I as we drink beer and review every US NES game ever made (the actual games on the actual hardware, not emulated).
http://www.brothernights.com