Author Topic: Having a clearout. Don't be scared - it'll be OK  (Read 2205 times)

Offline davyk

• View Profile
Having a clearout. Don't be scared - it'll be OK
« on: January 09, 2016, 22:19:37 PM »

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
Re: Having a clearout. Don't be scared - it'll be OK
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 23:46:51 PM »
Congratulations on parting with so many games! Not an easy thing to do... but I bet your wife is very pleased.

I've been considering a massive clearout for a while. Now that I have everdrives/flash carts for most of my older systems, I never use original carts anymore. Overloaded storage bins and shelves in almost every room of the house. Not sure where I'd even start.

One suggestion about the arcade cabinet though... unless you're sure that you'd never get tired of playing Asteroids Deluxe, a large screen JAMMA cab would be much more versatile (and probably cheaper) as a first cab. Either a Capcom Dynamo or a candy cab like the Taito Egret 2 would let you play almost any arcade PCB and would let you rotate the monitor to vertical for shmups or arcade classics. There are many JAMMA multiboard options... some emulated and some that mimic original hardware. There are even genre specific JAMMA multiboards that are loaded with just shmups or fighting games.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
Yeah - a JAMMA cabinet is a tempting proposition too. I'm torn if I'm honest.

Problem is it would open up the question of monitor configuration. Do I go for a vertical one for shmups or not? Would I need to get two?    :17:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 14:17:56 PM »
Like you Davy, I have considered my position for most of 2015 and I will be selling 50% of my collection in 2016 (I think). The reasons are similar to yours, time and space being the main ones, currently all my gear is in storage so it makes sense to streamline what I will use and what I won't.

Reckon I will sell all my NES, SMS, N64, C64, Speccy gear and keep and expand my Megadrive, Amiga, SNES and Handheld gear..

Also checkout http://www.ukvac.co.uk/ fella, great site for all your arcade needs and your get what you want nice and cheap and loads of help. :113:
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 15:11:24 PM »
Quote from: "davyk"

Yeah - a JAMMA cabinet is a tempting proposition too. I'm torn if I'm honest.

Problem is it would open up the question of monitor configuration. Do I go for a vertical one for shmups or not? Would I need to get two?    :17:

I have two cabs... one horizontal and one vertical. But, some cabs like the Capcom Dynamo or Taito Egret 2 are designed to easily rotate the monitor. I think the Egret 2 even has the monitor mounted on a large wheel. Spin the monitor, bolt it in place, rotate the bezel, and you're done. The Capcom Dynamo takes a little more effort to rotate but still a quick process. Dynamo cabs are pretty common/cheap here from all the 90s Capcom fighting games (I have one), but the standard monitor is limited to 25" and only low res. Candy cabs like the Egret 2 or Astro City are usually larger screens (29") and some have multisync/trisync monitors so you can play 480p games from the 90s-newer in max resolution.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 22:04:37 PM »
Import duty could be a problem if I wanted to import from the US I'm guessing ?

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:57 AM »
I don't know anything about importing. It would probably be much easier to just find a cab that's already in the UK... either ebay or uk arcade gaming forums like ukvac.com. If you're patient you can probably find something for a decent price and just pick it up.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 17:19:56 PM »
I've thought about it for sure but in the end I always end up thinking it's too much work to try and sell it. I have somewhere between 800 and 900 games in my collection, which sounds like a lot but it's still fairly manageable and I don't feel like it's taken over my house yet.

I have decided to stop adding to it though. I still want to finish my NG CD collection and I'll still buy the odd homebrew release but that's about it. I just don't play my old consoles and games enough anymore to warrant buying more retro games. New year and time to take a step back.

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
I think I'm getting to that point too - I'm considering selling off my SMS collection and picking up an everdrive instead.  I've already boxed up all the cases for CD based stuff, and have those in storage boxes in the loft.  The only stuff that I use regularly seems to be the Jag and the Lynx, and potter with some arcade stuff.  I like having all the hardware, so I don't think I'll ever get rid of that (maybe trim it down a bit to one of each), but investing in everdrives instead of physical media may be my way forward.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 17:50:26 PM »
I'm buying but at lower levels and I'm sticking to genres I know I'll play. I picked up a few STGs for the Megadrive recently for example.

No more buying games I know I won't play and then making it worse by buying the entire series for completion's sake (Gamecube Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, SSX for example).

However I reserve the right to buy any Tetris game I see...bit of an obsession of mine.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 17:51:57 PM »
Quote from: "tomwaits"
I don't know anything about importing. It would probably be much easier to just find a cab that's already in the UK... either ebay or uk arcade gaming forums like ukvac.com. If you're patient you can probably find something for a decent price and just pick it up.

You're right. It's a question of being patient. Things aren't helped by the fact that I live in N.Ireland making a pick up more likely to become some sort of road-trip/quest - which could be fun I suppose.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 00:17:01 AM »
That's a lot of Tetris versions!  How do you like the Dreamcast version?
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
Informative post dude, I've been playing with the idea of reducing my XBox classic collection to just the essentials - mainly as the wife is starting to complain about space - and concentrate on just Nintendo games, NES and SNES initially.

Sadly, the local retro shop has stopped buying games, as business is a bit slow at the moment and he wants rid of current stock. So I will check out this Chillout dealer. Thank you and best of luck with getting your arcade.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 17:06:20 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
That's a lot of Tetris versions!  How do you like the Dreamcast version?

You will see 3 DC Tetris games in that picture,.

1. Tetris 4D is probably the runt of the litter. This is as bare bones as they come - it doesn't even support saving high scores to the VMU!. It supports 4 player battle mode though and the rules are slightly different - enough to be interesting. It looks OK for a Tetris game and controls OK.

2. Next Tetris is next up the ladder. An interesting take on the game but the presentation is less than inspiring. It doesn't support 60Hz or even the VGA box which isn't a deal breaker for a Tetris game but is disappointing.

3. Sega Tetris is probably the pick of the DC bunch. It's a port of an arcade game so has lovely bright Sega graphics. Back in the day it had online battles and full lobby support using the DC keyboard and I believe it worked really well. There's also a bonkers 4 player linkup mode requiring 2 DCs , 2 discs and the rare cable. This mode is a 2 vs 2 team mode and I suspect it would be good fun.

The main game is entertaining enough with a nice bonus score system in the arcade mode and interesting attacks in battle mode, but the arcade mode is brutal - really tough - but that is to be expected from an arcade port. There's selectable difficulty that helps a bit with that. There is a bit of a language barrier in the menus with this one being JPN only but it's manageable.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 17:10:10 PM »
Quote from: "stonemonkeylives"
Informative post dude, I've been playing with the idea of reducing my XBox classic collection to just the essentials - mainly as the wife is starting to complain about space - and concentrate on just Nintendo games, NES and SNES initially.

Sadly, the local retro shop has stopped buying games, as business is a bit slow at the moment and he wants rid of current stock. So I will check out this Chillout dealer. Thank you and best of luck with getting your arcade.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal