An update has been posted:
- Powerups! I was able to optimize the kernel a bit and fit these in. They appear randomly and have different effects depending on the color:
- White: Gives you a 3000 point bonus.
- Pink: Gives you an extra life. If you have the max of four lives, it'll act like a white powerup.
- Green: Makes you invincible for 5 seconds. An alarm will sound just before the effect runs out, so you'll have a bit of warning.
- Rather than accelerating infinitely as you gain points, the game will only speed up twice, at 20000 and 40000 points. The background also gets darker as you speed up.
- The game is now winnable! If you reach the max of 99,999 points, you'll get a special "win" screen. It's not easy to do, though.
- Paddle control has been improved, and I've decided to keep them in. I can't do anything about the sensitivity, but I was able to make the movement a lot less choppy by checking INPT0 four times per scanline instead of once.