Worst Games Ever?

Started by TL, May 22, 2012, 21:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Flukesy"Are there any fans of ghostbusters on the 2600? I found it quite annoying.
Didn't many of the movie licenses fail back then?

Yeah movie licenses generally aren't very good, and not just back then!

DZ-Jay

OMG! I have to vote for Cyberdillo. WTH?!!

--
Sent from my iPhone, so igmore teh typpos...

TL

Another Jaguar game and one that annoys me greatly because it could have not only been amazingly good but also looks superb in screenshots. The problem is that the framerate is so abysmal that it renders the game totally unplayable  >:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmTcGeq ... re=related

onthinice

I agree Laird. I was disappointed with the 32X Motocross and thought the Jaguar should have been much better. The screenshots looked amazing. This was one of the first games I tracked down when I bought my Jag and that was several years ago. I should have done my homework.

TL

Playing on the Mega Drive today reminded me of another really stinky game, one of only a few bad MD games that I own. The only reason I do have this game is because it's on the Mega Games 1 multi-cart.

I present to you the horror that is World Cup Italia '90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnrcciyM_s

onthinice

I am always looking for more sports games. Guess I will not track this one down.

Alberto 2K

Motocross 3D is (along with Double Dragon V) the most infamous game on the Jaguar. Really bad games.

I liked Italia 90 when I was a kid! ;D
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

108 Stars

Quote from: "Alberto 2K"Motocross 3D is (along with Double Dragon V) the most infamous game on the Jaguar. Really bad games.

I liked Italia 90 when I was a kid! ;D

The thing is, as kids when we got a game we knew we wouldn't get another one so soon. A kid can't just go to the next shop and shell out the cash for a new game when the other one turns out to be bad; especially back in the 16-bit days prices were higher (at least here). So in my experience, we learned to squeeze fun even out of turds. Maybe we lied to ourselves, but we played the stuff and tried to get entertainment out of it.

Now about the topic title... at e-Jagfest, after many years I was finally able to play Fight for Life on the Jaguar again. And really, I absolutely think it is one of the worst games ever made. It's completely broken! The camera is insane, the controls unresponsive, rounds take ages, energy bars disappear so you lose track of your health, the fighting system in itself flawed to the core and the animation akward. The very best thing about the game is seeing the fighters, not in motion; it makes you think they look quite good for a Jaguar game, as the machine was not designed with loads of textured polygons in mind.

But beside that it's utter tosh. It was amusing that I found 2 people on AA who defended the game; while on Jagfest absolutely NOBODY could argue it's terrible, despite there being some die-hard-Jag fans. I have the "honor" of having made no.3 in the European FFL championships. I swear, Sandra from atari-shop.nl pummeled me in the game, but then stepped into the electric barrier and lost... it was no accident I tell you, she knew she did not want to get into the next round.

Damn, how bad FFL is... it was the last Jaguar game released during the system's official lifespan, and it shows the company's desolate financial state, having to release something that would never pass QA in a company that isn't on its last legs.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Spector

On the Atari 2600 - ET is legendary, but my personal favourite nadir is Karate by Froggo. An astonishing piece of nothingness.

PC Engine - Takeda Shingen - looks like a Commodore 64 reject... and plays a hell of a lot worse.

Spectrum - Zaxxon- an isometric scrolling shooter programmed little over a year after the 48K model was released has the potential to be disastrous. Potential fulfilled.
Spectrum - Super Soccer - nothing super about this piece of undeveloped crap

Gameboy - Alleyway - playable if you're the slowest, most useless gamer of all time. To everyone else, it's a mind-numbingly easy attempt at Breakout.

Commodore 64 - Save Me, Bright Knight - an early attempt at something or other; quite what exactly, I'm still not sure.
Commodore 64 - Bomb Jack  - it bombed.

Amstrad CPC464 - Everything ever released on the machine.
DEATH TO SUGAR

TL

Quote from: "Spector"Amstrad CPC464 - Everything ever released on the machine.

I just pissed myself when I read that!

108 Stars

Huh? How can you hate the CPC but not the Spectrum? They seem quite similar when it comes to games, just that the CPC had a wonderful color palette but the Speccy was sometimes maybe a little smoother.
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TL

Spector

That might actually be slower than the Spectrum version! But to play Devil's Advocate, at least it has a bit of colour, and the Amstrad's palette was certainly better than the C64's which consisted of sixteen variations of brown. I just think the Amstrad was killed as a major format due to companies porting slower versions of the Spectrum's releases rather than doing a new one from scratch. I also thought having a monitor rather than using the TV for its display had no practical benefit other than to line Sugar's purse. I definitely think it was the poor relation of the three.
DEATH TO SUGAR

TL

Quote from: "Spector"That might actually be slower than the Spectrum version! But to play Devil's Advocate, at least it has a bit of colour, and the Amstrad's palette was certainly better than the C64's which consisted of sixteen variations of brown. I just think the Amstrad was killed as a major format due to companies porting slower versions of the Spectrum's releases rather than doing a new one from scratch. I also thought having a monitor rather than using the TV for its display had no practical benefit other than to line Sugar's purse. I definitely think it was the poor relation of the three.

CPC Outrun makes the Spectrum version look like its on nitrous, I hear there is a where you can get out and walk - it makes the game twice as fast!

Mind you the CPC is not alone, the Amiga version is utterly shocking too. It has the worst tire screaching noise I have ever heard in a video game, it sounds like a turkey being strangled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gH4sQi29-s

AmigaJay

Street Racer on the Megadrive...an example of a decent mode7 game on the Snes converted and reprogrammed to a system not capable of such effects, hence we get a shoddy, windy road racer that's vomit inducing and just plain bad in comparison!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018