Author Topic: Sega Megadrive best quality set up for HDMI TV  (Read 918 times)

guest5764

Sega Megadrive best quality set up for HDMI TV
« on: November 08, 2015, 20:17:38 PM »
Good Evening All

I'm looking to play my old megadrive 1 on my sony 32" hdmi tv, what set up will provide me with the best quality picture/sound from the megadrive?  Also, I have heard mixed reviews on the latest ATGames console which provides 80 built in megadrive games etc What has been this forums overall opinion of this system?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Woby

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Megadrive best quality set up for HDMI TV
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 15:15:51 PM »
I personally just use composite cables, as that's about the best you can get out of a NTSC Genesis. Not sure if the MegaDrive has better connections or not, generally just try to find the best quality the console allows for. As for the AT Games console, I've never tried one. Hopefully someone else can help out better :)

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 19:04:53 PM »
I use stock composite cables. It's not the best way to get video and audio out of the Genesis, but it's the easiest option for me right now. I know some people who have had successful S-video mods done to their Genesis, however, and that really cleans things up. The Genesis/Mega Drive Model 1 has a headphones jack for stereo output, so that'd be the superior choice for sound.
- Ryan

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
I wanted to pick up on the issue of composite and NTSC Genesis consoles.  All of the Sega consoles through the Saturn, meaning the Master System and Genesis/Megadrive also, do native RGB output. If you live in a European country you may have a SCART input on your TV, in which case it's the way to go.  If not, you can get RGB to component converters (which is what I use).  I personally use a CYP brand converter with component input, you can see Joe Redifer demonstrate one in this video:

The only issue with those is that it's hard to find a dealer in the U.S. but there are plenty of European dealers.  I snagged mine directly from their website when they still did direct orders, but they don't anymore.  There are a bunch of other brands of these, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews so I'd grab a CYP if you can find one cheap enough.

guest5764

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 22:34:10 PM »
I took the plunge and splashed out on an xrgb mini in the end, now have the Megadrive hooked-up with a few cables scart/rgb cables from a UK based company which means it all works very well and with a few mods to the TV settings the results are impressive. 

To be honest Ive played my Megadrive more over the last few weeks more than Ive played my PS4 in about 6 months! Much more fun and I really mean that, anyone else feel the same?

I get sick of having to wait for PS4 games to update and then wanting to connect to the internet for additional content, user account, add ons, blah blah blah.  And, what happened to being able to just plug in another controller and play for hours with your mate?? Now most games don't support straight two player mode or you've got to setup and extra account, deary me what happened to videos games guys.  Rant over, thanks for listening

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 00:49:36 AM »
That's great that you got a xrgb! I've thought about it myself but the price keeps holding me back. I go through phases with retro and modern games, but i definitely know what you mean about the simpler times in gaming. It can be refreshing :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk