The Sega Saturn Thread

Started by TL, May 17, 2012, 17:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

So the Sega Saturn eh? Who else here chose one over the PlayStation back in the day and still prefers it?

I love the big black box it's easliy one of my favourite consoles and since I started collecting the Japanese titles that never came out here I am discovering a whole new side to it. Sega really missed a trick by not getting more games out in the west.

This is my latest purchase:

I never knew there was another Bubble Bobble sequel so I was both amazed and excited when I saw this title and promptly snapped it up!

I will give my thoughts once I have given it a good play 

Minerals

Looks pretty cool, who are the other 2 characters you can pick at the start?

TL

TL

zapiy

I was a Saturn fan. I have loads of games for this system. Probably more than any other system.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dubchaser

I picked up 3 games today for £10:

Virtua Fighter Remix
Clockwork Knight
SWWS

TL

Quote from: "dubchaser"I picked up 3 games today for £10:

Virtua Fighter Remix
Clockwork Knight
SWWS

Pretty good deal, they are all good games!

I finally got round to playing both Blazing Tornados and Bubble Symphony, they are both excellent games especially the latter one. I really need to start putting up some Saturn reviews on here.

TL

My brother just got me Capcom Generations 1 for my birthday. It has 1942, 1943 and some sort of extra version of 1943 which is bloody excellent.

Real nice slice of retro shooting action on a 32-bit console:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXT5vmQIAP0

dcultrapro

I absolutely adored my Saturn when  I finally got one on my 16th Bday in 1998, I got loaded, Panzer Dragoon Saga demo disc, bunch of other bits and absolutely fell in love! I always prefered the Saturn to Playstation because it was just more fun and more original, and plus I was a massive Sega nut and couldn't have afforded the PS1 if I wanted one.

I did end up getting a PS1 but never got more than 10 games for it whereas my Saturn collection is one of my favourites; games like Burning Rangers, Deep Fear, Nights, Steep Slope Sliders, PDS, Dragon Force, Dark Saviour, Street Fighter Alpha 1+2... serious love for the Saturn over here lol

I only wish I'd gotten one when it came out instead of in its last year of production :(
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

In honour of the football today I decieded to revisit an old favourite of mine, Olympic Soccer. It really is totally unlike any other footy game and its quite hard to describe how this game is both shit and great at the same time  :o

It's really fast moving and you can score some great goals but the commentry is just hilarious (in a bad way) and the goalies dive like salmon flying across the goal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhgn7RC2PA

TL

After seeing the cheesy Jaguar adverts again I went looking for a Saturn one, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP3ciD4Efr0

AmigaJay

I picked one up late in the game as i was a big Psygnosis fan and since they were bought by Sony they supported the PS1 from launch (later the Saturn too) i got mine from Woolies when they went down to £99 with Sega rally and worldwide soccer both great games, though the euro cases are IMO the worst cases ever on any format! Just horrible cardboard and plastic shells that break or don't close properly  :P
I can't remember when I sold it, proabably a couple of years later? As for games this is what I remember owing

Sega rally
Worldwide soccer 97
Worldwide soccer 98
Nights
Xmas nights
Guardian heroes
Manx tt
Panzer dragoon
Sega ages
Sonic jam
Virtua cop 2
Virtua fighter 2

As you say Sega missed the boat as some of the best Saturn games never made it to Europe.

The nights games were amazing, nothing really ike them before or since.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TL

I was playing a load of Galaxy Force II today, I absolutely adore this game.

I vaguely remember being wowed by it in the arcades but the game really came to my attention when I bought the ST version. It was easily one of my most played games for the machine I was so impressed by it technically. I much later got the Mega Drive version which I was a bit disappointed with and then I found out there was a Jap only Sega Ages version for the Saturn. It usually commands a high price so I was well chuffed when I picked up a mint CIB one for £15 a little while ago, it seems to be arcade perfect in every way and the CD music is epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJevJOSXKfM

dcultrapro

looks nice bud, I've never heard of that one, can you get it in English/PAL?

I just bought the spanish (which has english) version of the rare Dragon Ball Z Legend for Saturn, can't wait to get that and try it out. Saturn is definitely in my top 5

speaking of which I shall soon be doing a top 5 consoles of all time video series... by soon I mean within the next few months lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"looks nice bud, I've never heard of that one, can you get it in English/PAL?

No, sadly it was only released in Japan. Though, as you can probably see, the whole game is in English.

Quote from: "dcultrapro"I just bought the spanish (which has english) version of the rare Dragon Ball Z Legend for Saturn, can't wait to get that and try it out. Saturn is definitely in my top 5

That is actually one of the few PAL Saturn games I don't have, I've bid on it a few times and lost out.

Quote from: "dcultrapro"speaking of which I shall soon be doing a top 5 consoles of all time video series... by soon I mean within the next few months lol

Look forward to that!!!!  8)