The Sega Saturn Thread

Started by TL, May 17, 2012, 17:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I just watched this video.  Interesting take as to why the Saturn failed.  What do you think?  Do you agree with this perspective?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TrekMD

Top Hat Gaming Man takes a look at the Sega Saturn...

TrekMD

Here is another video looking at the Sega Saturn...

TrekMD

Nice video looking at Japense-only release games for the Sega Saturn.   Check it out...

Saturn

Absolutely phenomenal list of games. Would like to play them all. Have only blazed through one title, Radiant Silvergun but there's so much more!
The Saturn is a powerhouse. 8)

TrekMD

It truly is one awesome console.  I love shooters and the games on this video all look fantastic.

davyk

A guy from work has just got back from holiday in Japan. Before he went I gave him the names of some Saturn games I was looking for. He found a copy of Battle Garegga - but that's £120 even in Japan now so I let that go. However he did find this little gem for me :

Kingdom Grand Prix is one of the better Saturn shmups that is still sensibly priced. It's interesting because it's a race game too - you race with 7 other characters to the end of the level. Holding down A makes you go faster but you can't shoot so it's a risk/reward thing. Has a TATE mode too and there's a cheat that unlocks a no race mode that lets you play as a straight up shooter.

I've played it a bit on MAME but fancied the saturn version. Played it last night and it's a lovely thing. Tough though.

davyk

Spotted these in my local CEX and bought them on impulse after inspecting their condition.

I'm not really in the PAL game market any more but I still have a collection of the better PAL conversions and I also keep some games that run at 60Hz and are easier to play because of English menus.

So Athlete Kings is an upgrade to the snapcase style box. It plays great at 60Hz. and Manx TT is an upgrade too because my current copy's inlay has some water damage. Manx TT is PAL optimised though so I may pick up the JP version at some time for collecting purposes. I have Puzzle Bobble 2X JP version but as I'm into that series I picked up the PAL version too which plays fine at 60Hz.

davyk

Went back to CEX the next day and upgraded my PAL copy of Pro Pinball : The Web. This plays great at 60Hz too. My old copy of this has a tattier box than this copy which is in excellent condition.

This was the 1st game in the Pro Pinball series and doesn't get a lot of attention. There are 4 in the series but it was left out of Pro Pinball Trilogy for Dreamcast and OldBox. (Lovely on DC btw esp with the VGA cable).

Bit of an underrated game. Plays very well. This series isn't as popular because each disc only has one table. They did quite well with fans of the genre on PC.

One table per game but the tables are quite deep. This is the first so is more basic than the others but it's still a splendid game. :)

davyk

And copy of Puzzle Bobble 2X (JPN) for Saturn I got a couple of weeks back that got me into BAM again. Have quite a little spree on my Saturn collection recently. Gameplay wise this is exactly the same as the PAL version. I was actually hoping the PAL or JP version would have the Time Trial mode that the N64 version has but it doesn't seem to be there. My wife loves the 2 player versus TT mode.

TrekMD

Wow, nice set of Japanese games! 

Saturn

Those are fantastic! Congrats on the score...

davyk

Here's a replay of a run I recorded on Sega Rally. Far from my best performance; I hadn't played in a few months.

Any thoughts on this game today? I think it still plays great. This is the JP version but I have the PAL version too and it is the best PAL port of any game I have ever seen. If anything, the controls might be a tiny bit smoother. Miraculous what they did with the dpad. It works with the wheel and 3D controller but stick with the pad myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIL5hUdkreY

TrekMD

That looks really cool.  Which controller did you use?

Saturn

Some ace driving there. You make it look easy.