The Sega Saturn Thread

Started by TL, May 17, 2012, 17:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

This thread has not seen any action in a while.  Time to wake it up.  So, check out this video which asks the question:  is the Sega Saturn Worth Playing Today?  What do you think?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Saturn

Good grief, the extro on that video was looooong lol. I liked that dude so subscribed. Thanks for the heads up :)
Emphatic YES. I love that system. It's my 2nd favorite of all time! I'd play it daily if the risk wasn't so high for the CD parts to go out. Haven't touched it in months for that very reason. But, Radiant Silvergun, Nights Into Dreams and the Panzer Dragoon series are reason enough to own and play one. Plus, games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider look great to me. Different from the Playstation versions in detail and beautiful in comparison. Dead or Alive as well. My favorite version of the game.
If/when the hack is released, I'll be changing my gaming habits considerably. Going back to hours and hours of obsessive gaming on this incredible machine like I used to. Indicentally, a couple of months ago I did an inventory of my Saturn collection and wouldn't trade any of the titles for the world. As Pixel Thing guy would say, Let's take a loook.

2x Sega Saturn units w/ custom dust covers (Hdwr)
2x AV Cables (Hdwr)
2x 3D Control pads (Hdwr)
2x regular Controllers (Hdwr)
3x Power Plugs (Hdwr)
1x RF Converter (Hdwr)
1x broken Saturn unit hopefully for bypass from cracked DRM (Hdwr)
1x Action Replay Plus 4mb (CIB) (other)
1x Japanese 4mb expansion cart w/ fighters on label and a switch (other)
1x Alone In the Dark (ejcc-extended jewel case complete)
1x Astral (ejcc)
1x Battle Arena Toshinden Remix (ejcc)
1x Black Fire (ejcc)
1x Blazing Dragons (ejcc)
1x Clockwork Knight (ejcc)
1x College Slam (ejcc)
1x Corpse Killer Graveyard Edition (ejcc)
1x Criticom w/ manual (jc-jewel case)
1x Cyberia (ejcc)
1x Darius Gaiden (ejcc)
1x Daytona USA (ejcc)
1x Double Switch (ejcc)
1x FIFA Soccer '96 (ejcc)
1x Fighting Vipers (ejcc)
1x Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball (ejcc)
1x Galactic Attack (ejcc)
1x Galaxy Fight (ejcc)
1x GEX (ejcc)
1x Ghen War (ejcc)
1x Last Gladiators Pinball (ejcc)
1x Madden '97 (ejcc)
1x Madden '98 (ejcc) sealed
1x MYST (ejcc)
1x NBA Jam T.E. (ejcc)
1x NFL '97 (ejcc) sealed
1x NFL Quarterback Club '96 (ejcc)
1x NFL Quarterback Club '97 (ejcc) sealed
1x NHL '97 (ejcc)
1x NHL All-Star Hockey (ejcc)
1x NHL Poerplay'96 (ejcc)
1x Nights Into Dreams (ejcc)
1x Off World Interceptor Extreme (ejcc)
1x Panzer Dragoon (ejcc)
1x Pro Pinball (ejcc)
1x Quarterback Attack (ejcc)
1x Revolution X (ejcc)
1x Robo Pit (ejcc) sealed
1x Solar Eclipse (ejcc)
1x Sonic 3D Blast (ejcc)
1x Soviet Strike (ejcc)
1x Star Fighter (ejcc)
1x Street Fighter The Movie (ejcc)
1x The Horde (ejcc) sealed
1x Tomb Raider (ejcc)
1x Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (ejcc)
1x Virtua Cop (jco-jewel case only)
1x Virtua Fighter 2 (ejcc)
1x Virtua Fighter Remix (jco)
1x Virtua Racing (ejcc)
1x World Cup Golf; Professional Edition (ejcc)
1x World Series Baseball (ejcc)
1x Worldwide Soccer (ejcc) sealed

Last Gladiator Pinball is also a system maker to me. Have played that game more than any other probably. Star Fighter is great too. Not as good as the 3DO version with the fog effects blocking a further view but it didn't have as much power and they compensated where they could. Still a wonderful title and where are you going to find it today? I haven't seen it on any new consoles, even for download.
While I'm certain there's more to be found and added, this is what I've found so far. Not bad but when the DRM crack comes out I'll be dumping the entire library onto a single, specifically purchased external HD to run them from.
One of the greatest systems out there imo. 8)

TrekMD

Wow, that is one fantastic list of games and hardware for the system.  The Saturn is a system I've never played.  I knew of its existence when it launched but life was rather busy for me as I was still in postgraduate training and video games had taken a bit of a back sit for me.  I still had the 2600 and 7800 but that was about it for me then.  That's why I've ended up getting a lot of retro consoles later as an adult. 

Saturn

I hear you, gaming has taken a backseat for me many times when more important things arose. I do what I can now and love the collecting. This system has some great titles, a lot of which helped craft gaming so if the cracked DRM device hits the market I'd highly recommend picking one up along with a console. Even a broken one would be ideal as it's probably the spinner and won't be needed. The rest you can find in the wild without limitations really. Looking forward to the future of the Saturn, myself. I believe it's existence is about to be revitalized to the fullest :)

TrekMD

Yeah, cracking the DRM for the system definitely will give it a new life.  Maybe even new titles will be created for it much like for other of Sega's systems.

zapiy

That is one cracking list you have there Saturn, really wish I could get to my collection itemised. I will one day that's for sure.

Excellent video btw, such an amazing system overall and maybe the system I have the most games for in my entire collection. Some classics that Saturn already mentioned and many more on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Awesome Saturn collection! It's just about the only retro console I don't own that I would like to get, but with prices the way they are I may never get one.

TrekMD

Here's a video from Metal Jesus for the Sega Saturn:  Buying Guide and Top 10!  Check it out.  I have to say this is one console I have been tempted to get but I've resisted.  :) 

Saturn

Cool list. Lots on there I hadn't heard of. Wondering where Radiant Silvergun was??
As far as imports, that one has to be in the top "1" of any list lol.

TrekMD

The folks from Esoteric Arcade bring you 10 unreleased Sega Saturn games. These were in various stages of development before being cancelled. They are being played on a soft-modded Sega Saturn.  It should be noted that they added music to Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Sonic X-Treme because they normally have no music and it helped out with the feel of the video. Werewolf's music is from Darkstalkers and Sonic X-Treme's is from Sonic 2.

Saturn

Great video. Deep Fear blew me away. Wasn't aware of it and hoping it the (E) version works in SSF. That is too awesome not to play through.
Fighting Force looked cool as well. Taking the PS version for a spin soon. 8)

TrekMD

It is unfortunately that the console didn't do so well because it clearly was very capable and it had many good titles that were not even released.  As you say, it could compete fine with the PS. 

TrekMD

Just watched this video.  Interesting look at the Saturn.  Any fans out there?

Saturn

Excellent info. What a freakin power house! 8) Too bad it couldn't be utilised easier, I love this machine

TrekMD

It's unfortunate how the story of the Saturn unfolded.