Arcade Homebrew: Donkey Kong Remix is coming!

Started by zapiy, September 23, 2015, 23:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

DK Remix is coming to a DK near you....and looking awesome!

http://youtu.be/i1HfZeRxf_g

This is what the game is:
It's the original Donkey Kong, with the original stages, but also a bunch of new additions.

-4 Original stages
-6 Brand new stages
-3 Bonus stages (which appear after a rivets stage)

Most of the stages *also* have several variations, so when you see them the 2nd or 3rd, or sometimes even the 4th time around, they will have changed slightly.

New gameplay mechanics:
-Collapsing floors on the new rivets stages, which can crush firefoxes underneath.
-A spring on one of the new barrel stages, which can send barrels back to the top.
-Gap in the center of a new barrel stage where barrels will fall down and then either go left or right.
-Elevators on a new rivets stage.
-Hammers on a new elevators stage (and you can hammer the springs).
-The rivets+elevators stage has a switch to change the direction of the elevators.
-Blue hammers - Jumpman can *JUMP* while using a blue hammer.

New AI processing:
-Because floors can fall, firefoxes can now fall too.
-Because floors can pile up on top of each other, Jumpman can now walk *in front* of a platform - and also jump up onto it.
-Firefoxes also can jump up onto a platform..and jump back down.
-Yes, the fireballs can get to the top conveyor on the Pie stages...But, they are set not to do it often.  And, they are able to come back down.
-Jumpman can fall slightly further without dying.
-Jumpman can jump without bashing his head into platforms or elevators, stopping and falling to his death.
-There is new logic for things involving situations that could/did not happen in the original game.  New logic for deciding which way a barrel goes after falling down the center gap, new logic for deciding which barrel/which side the fireballs spawn from in the new conveyor stage...  Um, so tricks can be learned, but they'll be different.

Expanded difficulty range:
-Some aspects of game difficulty keep increasing right up till level 22.  But it ramps pretty gracefully.
-Barrel frequency slowly increases as level goes up.
-Elevators have more speeds and can get slightly faster than Classic DK.
-"Pie" frequency slowly keeps increasing as level goes up.
-Springs now do *not* hit maximum frequency on level 4!  Levels 4 through 7 have spring frequency gradually increasing from old-L3 speed until hitting the old-L4 max on level 7.  (I did this to balance out the difficulty.)
-selectable Normal / Hard DIP SWITCH.
   -On Normal, internal difficulty does not go beyond 5.
   -On Hard, internal difficulty goes up to 7.  Fireballs/firefoxes eventually get even faster & spawn faster.  Barrels go to 100% controllable.  Barrel/Pie release rates get slightly faster than Normal.  Elevators reach a higher top speed.   And... there is a new type of wild barrel that can change wild mode each time it bounces (less predictable).

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Wow that is just amazing!  Clearly the person playing is also quite good at the game.  Where's @arcadeaction?  Need him to get this on one of his home consoles!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Very cool, and yeah the guy playing in the video is way beyond my skill level!

Greyfox

After watching Pixels last night, this has reignited my urge to play all the classics again and that is some game above, brilliant, imagine the world Donkey Championship hosting that? Billy Michell would have a tough road ahead lol.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Greyfox"...imagine the world Donkey Championship hosting that? Billy Michell would have a tough road ahead lol.
LOL  That's for sure!

ArcadeAction

This looks great, looking forward to playing!

I've been playing arcades and some pinball in Vietnam recently. I will post some photos.

Quote from: "TrekMD"Wow that is just amazing!  Clearly the person playing is also quite good at the game.  Where's @arcadeaction?  Need him to get this on one of his home consoles!

TrekMD

In Vietnam?!  Wow, you are getting around!  Would love to see the pics.  :)

Greyfox

wow!, hopefully you'll have some beautiful scenic shots to add too! :4:

Shadowrunner

Goes to Vietnam and offers to show us pictures of arcade games :21: Awesome!