Author Topic: Forgotten Quests From the Golden Age of Adventure Games  (Read 866 times)

Offline Ben

• View Profile
Forgotten Quests From the Golden Age of Adventure Games
« on: August 30, 2015, 19:56:58 PM »
This is a really interesting run down of forgotten adventure games for various computer platforms.  The only obvious one on the list is Full Throttle, the rest of these aren't any I knew about.
The 1990s were a good age for adventure, if your idea of adventure is playing video games. Point-and-click adventure games were at their peak, offering new worlds and new mysteries to explore. Companies like Sierra Games and LucasArts were publishing titles that often simply dropped players into a new world and let them test and explore in order to find their way, searching for the correct item or action that would let them progress. Clues were often infuriatingly hard to come by, but when you could finally solve that tricky puzzle, you felt like a real genius. 

And now, adventure games of the '80s and '90s are making somewhat of a comeback via modern titles, and remakes of classic versions. Titles like The Secret of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (LucasArts is the undisputed king of the genre), are still hot topics among gamers, but there are many other games that have fallen by the wayside, or been forgotten completely. Well, thanks to the awesome Internet Archive and their vast collection of old software, we can take a look at some of greatest forgotten and unknown gems of the genre.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fo ... ture-games

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Quests From the Golden Age of Adventure Games
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 20:41:44 PM »
Great article,

Full Throttle
Lure of the Temptress
STAR TREK: 25TH ANNIVERSARY
DRAGONSPHERE
Discworld

I had and i think still have all these games somewhere in my collection.. The Star Trek game was fantastic..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 20:43:58 PM »
I still have Star Trek 25th.  Love that game. To think that next year is 25 years AFTER already!  Incredible how times flies! 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest4707

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 21:01:27 PM »
Ah, Lure of the Temptress! That was the first point and click game I ever completed after being completely stumped by Maniac Mansion (only to find out later that copy protection was the reason I couldn't progress!). Recently I went back and finished Beneath a Steel Sky, and although Lucasarts are often lauded as the kings of the genre, I have to say that these two are the masterpieces in my eyes. I found the stories to be more coherent and engaging, and the atmosphere that the games created were so immersive that I got lost in those worlds and felt the frustrations of getting stuck in the puzzles a lot less as I was exploring.

One genre I have never really got into is the text adventure. I tried Zork, but it was virtually impenetrable. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 21:29:50 PM »
I am the same as you, text adventures never struck me as a genre i wanted to play. Point and click ones felt much more fluid.

What was it with the copy protection then fella?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
Full Throttle is a classic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk