Sony PlayStation 1 - Must Have Games

Started by TL, May 13, 2012, 00:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tachi

For me, many of the games that always appear on lists (FFVII, MGS etc) have lost their lustre for me over the years, what with my rediscovery of better games from even older systems. Now I have a much more mixed list with some more unusual games.
Adventures of Alundra
Bloody Roar 2
Brahma Force
Descent 2
Diablo
Future Cop L.A.P.D
Front Mission 3
Gauntlet Legends (is this what you meant by Gauntlet Legions or have I missed out on a Gauntlet Game??)
Hexen
Machine Hunter
Rival Schools
Sentient
Sentinel Returns
Suikoden
Tenchu
The Hunter
Unholy War
Vandal Hearts
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
? H.P. Lovecraft

davyk

I got the PS1 to play Parappa which seems a bit weird now - but back then there was nothing like it. But I got loads more for it - here's my favourites:

Parappa the Rapper The famous rhythm action game - still looks and plays good and has loads of charm.
Bishi Bashi Special - nutty boy mini game comp
Devil Dice - little devils rolling dice around
Kurushi and Kurushi Final - splendid 3D puzzle - run around a flat plane dealing with rolling cubes and avoiding getting squashed.
Landmaker - isometric puzzle with arcade mode and PS1 exclusive absorbing puzzle mode
Gradius Gaiden - was a PS1 exclusive. Best in series.
Metal Slug X - lots of nice extra features to enjoy.
No one can stop Mr Domino - hard to describe really - kind of an obstacle race game with puzzle element.
Power Diggerz - JCB sim but in a nice weird Japanese arcade style - uses all PS1 controller buttons.
Puchi Carat - cross between Arkanoid and Bust a move - special edition comes with a paddle controller.
R-Type Delta - great entry in the series that still looks quite lovely in a pixelly jaggy way - and PAL gamers got full screen too.
Tempest X3 - slight variation on T2K - Minter approved for what it's worth. T2k mode unlockable.
Vib Ribbon - excellent, charming rhythm game- generates levels from any CD.
Wipeout 3 SE - best version all told. 2097 is very nice too though.
In The Hunt - lovely submarine shmup in the style of Metal Slug.
Xevious 3D/G More Xevious that you will ever need. Main game is a semi-3D version that keeps the great shmupping gameplay intact and still looks quite good because of the Xevious style is kept - but the icing on the cake is the traditional versions that accompany it - Xevious, Super Xevious and Xevious Arrangement are here in all their glory too.
Raiden Project and Raiden DX Excellent recreations of the arcade games with all the right options like TATE mode etc.
Castlevania Chronicles port of the Sharp computer version which was a JP exclusive. Really nice linear old school entry with an arrange mode, an unlockable TT mode and a video interview with the producer.

Carlos

Just picked up demo disc 42! that has the net yaroze 18 games on it.  8)  rocks n gems tastic!

Rain

-Breath Of Fire III
-FF VII, VIII, IX
-Bubble Bobble
-Star Ocean: The Second Story
-Tekken 3

Shadowrunner

Great choice with Star Ocean: The Second Story. One of my favourite RPGs on the PS1.

DeadVoivod

PS1 had loads of great RPGs, that was one of the main reasons I got one.

What about Parasite Eve.

Ryuhi

Quick list of must have.

Micro machines V3
Tekken (Personally I would say number 3 but all are good)
Spyro (Any of first 3)
Crash (Again any of the first 3)
Three lions (Bit of nostalgia here as I don't think it is actually a good game)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Spider man

ninjamaster

Adding a few not yet mentioned:

1) Vagrant Story

2) Wild Arms

3) Geppy X (for Anime fans)

4) Namco Time Crisis and Gun Bullet/Gun Barl

5) Legend of Dragoon (Among Best Gdr IMHO)

TrekMD

Hmm, I'll have to check out some of those.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ninjamaster

Quote from: TrekMD on July 04, 2021, 16:36:22 PM
Hmm, I'll have to check out some of those.

And Valkyrie Profile too  :)