New Atari 2600 Homebrew - Street Fight World

Started by TrekMD, July 17, 2015, 23:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Me either!  Retro Lord just asked one day if there was a way to use a sprite he found (it was Ryu) with the 2600.  I redrew it and then halved it to fit the whole thing in sixteen pixels and it all started from there.  I drew every character in this game from scratch and managed to animate everything. 

The big trick will be fitting knock-downs, flips (granted only four characters have them), damage reactions and life bars in there.  A.I. still needs to be programmed as well but that will be as easy as using the on-board sixteen bit randomizer to call on variables tied to movements and attacks. 

When I program a game I assign the controls each a variable so that timers can be set for motion, animation, etc.

something like

if joy0left then h=h+1 else h=0

This would start the h variable as a counter.  Then in animation I would use..

if h=5 then player0:
  *sprite for one step

if h=10 then player0:
  * sprite second step

..and so on.  This method allows me to program moves that are usually not seen on VCS/2600 games, like the spirit fireball or charge attacks.  It also helps for controlling animation. 

I LOVE pixel art and this was a big dream come true for me to draw some of my favorite character likenesses from the late eighties and early nineties.  My goal is to use modern programming methods and that Harmony ARM processor to push the limits of what a 2600 can do.  So far it's performing swellingly! 

I actually draw the whole frame in sixteen pixel wide blocks and then cut away half and save it as one sprite and then cut off the other side and save it as the second sprite of the same image.  Many 16-bit systems (Genesis, SNES, etc.) use several tiles all put together to make one image and this is not unlike that. 

I actually added the dragon uppercuts back into the game last night and am about to set up the whirlwind kicks.  Throws will be a challenge, although I foresee using the knockdown frames for throws as well, so it shouldn't be too hard. 

Thanks a lot for the compliment.  It fuels me.  :115:
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

Shadowrunner

Very impressive, and an RPG for the VCS sounds great too!

Papa

The game is coming along swimmingly!  I have decided to start the game with an AI-driven demo, which has not yet been implemented, so there is no title screen.  This frees up memory and will eventually look great.  Dragon Uppercuts are now a charged attack.  Holding down for a couple of seconds and then pressing the fire button activates them.  The Sakura clone now has a punch, a kick, and a crouching kick.  When all is said and done, the game will begin with AI-driven matches until one of the fire buttons is pressed, activating story-mode or vs. mode.  I'm really looking forward to doing the music for this one, as well. :113:
"OH $#IT!"

TrekMD

Fantastic!  Thanks for the update!  What do you have in mind for the music?  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Papa

I may copy my favorite SFII/ALPHA background music into Atari beeps and noises or come up with something totally new.   I think having Street Fighter music would be really cool.   :69:
"OH $#IT!"

TrekMD

zapiy

Brilliant, sounds a cracking idea to me fella. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Papa

"OH $#IT!"

Greyfox

that it instantly incredible feat of coding and graphical presentation on a 39 year old console, simply ground breaking.

TrekMD