Author Topic: Atari Jaguar: Encrypted Painter CD & level codes  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
Re: Atari Jaguar: Painter level codes
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 16:55:01 PM »
Quote from: "avick"
Had to scratch my head a bit too, it's been far too long since I messed with this stuff.  I substituted smac for mac (running Windows 8) and ran 'smac -fb main.s', then sln -e -a 10000 x x main.o' (aln substituted for sln).  Just fire up the .cof file in VJ and now I'm hopelessly addicted to Painter!!!!

Ok, went to Belboz's site and downloaded/installed jagdev_102.exe to the default C:/jaguar.

Extracted paintersrc.zip to C:jaguarpaintsrc

Edited the autoexec.bat file on C: as follows (this is from notes I had lying around, no idea if it's even necessary but I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, btw):
@echo off
set PATH=%PATH%;C:JAGUARBIN
set RDBRC=C:JAGUARBINRDB.RC
set DBPATH=C:JAGUARBIN
set ALNPATH=C:JAGUARBIN
set MACPATH=C:JAGUARINCLUDE
set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:/JAGUAR/BIN
set TEMP=C:
doskey

Copied cmd.exe from C:Windowssystem32 to C:jaguarpaintsrc and opened it.

ran smac -fb main.s
After a few seconds it finished then i ran sln -e -a 10000 x x main.o

A file appeared in the C:jaguarpaintsrc directory named .cof. It was 1.70mb in size.
I renamed it to painter.cof and tried to run it in vj a few times but it crashed immediately. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 17:08:52 PM »
That looks the same as what I used when I ran it. In the painter src directory, open the makefile with notepad, and check what address is in there for the load/run - its possible you have a different version from the one on the web. If the address is different, substitute it for the 10000 in the sln command. I'll dig my laptop out in a bit and try it again. Belboz's script should set the environment variables for you, so you shouldn't need to set them manually.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 17:12:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. Here are the contents of MAKEFILE in the painter src directory:

#====================================================================
#       Macro & Assembler flags

STADDR = 10000

MACFLAGS = -fb -g

ALNFLAGS = -v -v -e -g -rd -a $(STADDR) x B000

#       Default Rules
.SUFFIXES: .o .s

.s.o:
        mac $(MACFLAGS) $*

#       EXECUTABLES

OBJ = main.o

painter.cof: $(OBJ)
        aln $(ALNFLAGS) -o painter.cof $(OBJ)

main.o:     main.s

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 17:15:03 PM »
Your start address is 10000 as well. Hmmmm. I'll dig out my laptop now an retrace my steps

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 17:22:08 PM »
Awesome man, thank you 8)

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 08:48:30 AM »
Apologies, life and small children got in the way, as well as a dead laptop battery.  Whilst I was doing some testing last night, I realised that all my stuff was on my external HD at work, so I downloaded the source, dev kit and VJ again.  I got the same results as you.  However, when I got to work this morning, I fired up VJ and painter from my external HD, and it worked fine.  I also copied over the .cof I generated last night into my VJ software folder, and that worked.  Looking a little bit further, it seems I have two different versions of VJ - 2.1.2 (which doesn't load the .cof file), and 2.1.0 (which does).

I'm just looking for an old laptop so I can install my skunk drivers to flash the file - corporate policy prevents me from disabling the driver signing check in Windows 8.1

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
Just successfully flashed both .cof files to my skunkboard, and they both work fine on real hardware.  Must be a bug in later versions of VJ.

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 13:01:38 PM »
That's great info, thanks! Had no idea it was or could be vj. I'm looking around for a download of 2.1.0 specifically but have only found the MAC version so far. I'm going to test the versions on the VJ Build page when I get to work. Hopefully one of them will play it.
I'm just glad the compiling process worked :) May edit that post with additional info or start a new thread specifically for a tutorial (mostly for myself lol)
I'll report back with any info I find on the builds. Again, thank you for testing all this. Compiling code was always a headache for me.

Is there a resource for the replacement files you used? (mac & aln) Are they better than smac & sln?

Offline avick

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 13:08:15 PM »
If you need that version of VJ, I can fins somewhere to dump it - would be interesting to see if you get the same results.  In the root of the c:jaguar folder, the readme explains that you cannot use Atari's mac (assembler) and aln (linker) due to incompatibilities with Win2K and up.  It gives two options to use as replacements.

It would definitely be a good idea to pop a thread in somewhere to keep this info available - good to see the Jag getting some love again!

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 14:34:28 PM »
Yes, that would be great. Or, if I find one on the build page that works we can compare via that means. Either way works for me. I see the size of some of the exe's so if you have a download resource, just let me know and I'm all over it 8)

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »
Ran the .cof file I made through JiFFi and burned it to disk. Works like a charm :)
Went ahead and ripped the disk with Alcohol 120% since that's my preferred method. Uploading the images to my Google Drive as I type this.
This game can get difficult fast! Love it.

Edit:
Burned the .cdi file with Alcohol as DiskJuggler didn't recognize the drive. Handy guide at Reboot's site for DiskJuggler.

Edit:
The .cdi file also works in Project Tempest 0.95 as well as a ROM created with JiFFi.
Tried the ROM in PT v0.5 in hopes of having save states but the screen was off.

Edit:
Tried the ROM with T2K emulator on this page but it didn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal