Amiga 30 and the Unkillable Machine

Started by Ben, August 29, 2015, 11:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

This is a pretty cool Amiga article I ran across, I thought some here might be interested.
QuoteThe story of the Amiga family of microcomputers is akin to that of a musical band that breaks up after one incandescent, groundbreaking album: the band may be forgotten by many, but the cognoscenti can discern its impact on work produced decades later.

So the Amiga 30 event held at Silicon Valley's Computer History Museum in late July was more than a commemoration of some interesting technology of the past. It was also a celebration of the Amiga's persistent influence on personal computing.

The highlight of the event was the premiere of Viva Amiga, a crowdfunded documentary telling the Amiga story. Directed and produced by Zach Weddington, the documentary is an impressive achievement. Following the introduction and initial success of the original Amiga A1000 in 1985 by Commodore, the story could easily have become bogged down in the business machinations that eventually led to the almost complete loss of market share for Amiga computers. But Weddington manages to capture the essence of the story, and bring fresh light to several aspects of the Amiga rollercoaster.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the- ... le-machine

Greyfox

Thanks Ben.

Anything Amiga related is always ace, I loved this computer with a passion and done so much stuff on it, from graphics to music composition, to even been part of a diskzine as lead artist, so it holds lots of memories for me, not just only the games and out of this world demos. This computer is actually unkilliable. It really is.

zapiy

Fantastic read. I really want to start bringing more Amiga content to the site. Thinking caps on lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

MadCommodore

The trouble was Commodore bought the company and launched the Amiga 1000 and then when yanks didn't buy it (it took nearly a year for the UK release and 9 months for German release) so the accountants axe went a bit mad and closed down the Los Gatos site where the original hardware designers worked. So most of the staff was lost which is why the Amiga 500 and 2000 were technically no better at all despite being two years later.

This kind of set the trend for the life of Amiga sadly.