Controversial Games

Started by TrekMD, July 19, 2015, 17:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

We have looked at banned games (thread here) but we don't really have a thread to discuss controversial games.  To start us off, here is a video from Gamester81 looking at one adult game for the NES:  Bubble Bath Babes.

[align=center:2jmx0kqr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmve2aVIgs[/align:2jmx0kqr]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

wyldephang

These are always interesting to see. Since most of these types of games were unlicensed, they now reside in the deep underbelly of the Internet. The ROMs are usually not hard to locate for emulators, but I've never seen any cartridges in person. They're quite rare. Not all controversial games were unlicensed, of course. One of my favorites was Duke Nukem 3D, a surprisingly mainstream game despite the topless women you could find in the nightclub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkK6fHSKY8
- Ryan

TrekMD

Interesting.  I didn't even realize there was controversy surrounding Duke Nukem 3D because of that!

TrekMD

OK, so here is another game that I'm sure had controversy surrounding it:  Plumbers Don't Wear Ties on the 3DO.  So, has anyone here played this?  Come on, confess!   It's only deemed the worse games of all time.  And people thought ET on the 2600 had that title!  :21:

[align=center:qstxljad]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSMktLhq-lM[/align:qstxljad]

Shadowrunner

I have a pretty good size 3DO collection but I do not own Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. There's a few of these adult games on the system but none of them are very good, what a surprise :21:

Akuza

Any of the adult Atari 2600 games pretty much fall into this category.

If you really get off on watching little blocks do stuff you may have some issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently collecting:- PC Engine, mastersystem, mega drive and CDi.

zapiy

I had a few of these games, perhaps Manhunt is the most famous for me.. the murder cutscenes where and maybe still are some of the most gruesome images on any game.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Yeah, Manhunt was pretty rough. But I think that's what made it so unique and out standing.

TrekMD

The guys from Game Sack have also posted a video looking at controversial games.  Check it out...

[align=center:2lmpa5b1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L52h20XAa_s&feature=em-subs_digest[/align:2lmpa5b1]

Ben

I'm setting down to watch this now, but does anyone know if they are going back to one video a week for their schedule?  It seems like they're knocking out videos at a pretty good clip again.

TrekMD

I have no idea of their schedule.  But this is an interesting watch.  :)

Ben

They were weekly for a long time, but got away from it.  They've been putting out a video every Sunday again recently, so maybe they're back to that pace.  Anyway, I enjoyed that video, the only thing they left out was all of the controversy over light guns.  That's why we went from the awesome Zillion gun:

to this on the Saturn after those hearings with Joe Lieberman:

to the Dreamcast not having an official gun in the U.S. due to Columbine.  That's why Japan got a pack in House of the Dead 2 with a gun, but we didn't.

onthinice

I recall posting about Primal Rage in another thread and Splatterhouse for the Turbo Graphics 16 had some negative feedback when it was first released.

zapiy

Bully by Rockstar Games is very controversial, loads of Violence, bullying and sex in a school.  :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD