Hi all

Started by guest5625, May 24, 2015, 21:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest5625

Hey everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself.  I'm Paul, a 40-odd year old who's been playing games since the 1970s.  From arcades to computers to consoles, I've played many, many games in my lifetime.  I love them!

I've done a bit of games writing too, although you might not have seen much of my stuff.  Hopefully you'll see more soon, though.

I'm writing a book.  I know, so are loads of other people, but I hope mine will be different enough to stand out.  It's going to be called They Were Our Gods, and it will feature up to 40 personalities who worked in the era of the 8-bit computers.

I'm featuring programmers, graphic artists, cover artists, musicians and even reviewers from the era.  I'm also concentrating almost exclusively on British personalities, although there may be the occasional Australian or European in there.  I'm of the opinion that they've been mostly overlooked by such publications in the past, although several others are also putting that right.

The difference is that mine will be more text-heavy, although of course it will contain a good amount of screen shots, too.  Programmers talk about each of their 8-bit games, plus some of their other work.  Musicians talk about some of their most important pieces.  Graphics artists and cover artists, too, talk about some of their best-known works.  Games reviewers talk about their experiences working on magazines, the pressures of writing reviews to deadlines and, of course, whether it really was great to get paid to play games.

Every contributor has submitted interviews of several thousand words, some longer than others.  You'll find big-name industry legends and people whose names you might not know but whose work you more than likely will.  Every interview is exclusive to this book, and some are from people you might not have heard from before.

You can read more at http://www.theywereourgods.com and I'm on Facebook and Twitter as They Were Our Gods, if you're into that sort of thing.  I hope I've caught your attention and grabbed your interest!

TrekMD

Welcome aboard, Paul.  Your book sounds interesting! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Retro_Raiden

Welcome!

It's nice to see a new face around here. Cool that you have done some game writing in the past. I'm studying Game Dev at uni myself.

Your book sounds like something I would be interested in reading. Keep us up to date please :)

Shadowrunner

Welcome! Good luck with the book :)

zapiy

Hey Paul,

Welcome mate, thanks for signing up firstly and please do keep us up to date with the progress..

As i said, helping you spread the word is our pleasure.

Can add a link on the fp if you like?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5625

Thanks, all.

I will most certainly keep you updated.  A link would be tremendous, ta.

:113:

Greyfox

Thanks for signing up Paul, your book looks fascinating, will it include much imagery?

guest5625

Oh yeah, there will be plenty of screenshots and box shots, don't worry about that!

Papa

Cool!  Hope it sells well for ya!
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"