Let's Compare - Wonder Boy

Started by TrekMD, April 29, 2015, 22:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Wonder Boy is a 1986 platformer video game published by Sega and developed by Escape (now known as Westone Bit Entertainment).

Originally designed for arcades, it was later ported to the SG-1000, Sega Mark III/Master System and Game Gear video game consoles by Sega, and to the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC home computers by Activision. The game is also known as Super Wonder Boy for its Sega Mark III release in Japan and Revenge of Drancon for its Game Gear release in North America.

It was the first in the long-running Wonder Boy series of games and was followed up by five sequels, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV. It was also the basis for the Adventure Island series.

Gameplay:

The "Wonder Boy" in question is a nameless character (called "Tom-Tom" in most localizations) – a tribal caveman-like boy whose girlfriend by the name of "Tina" (renamed "Tanya" in certain ports) has been captured by the dark King (sometimes known as Drancon). The player must guide the Wonder Boy through seven "areas", each consisting of four "rounds". The levels are made up of forests, hills, oceans, caves, ice palaces and occasionally mountains lands. The levels always run from left-to-right, with some vertical movement.

The boy can arm himself with a stone hatchet, which he can throw at oncoming foes, a skateboard with which he can rush through the levels and survive one attack by an enemy, and temporary protection by an angel which allows him to destroy foes by simply running into them. All of the aforementioned power-ups are obtained by breaking open eggs. These eggs can also contain unpleasant surprises – curses which cause him to lose vitality more quickly than usual, and poisonous mushrooms which reduce the boy's vitality in one go. "Bad eggs" can be easily spotted, as they are covered in red spots, whereas "good eggs" that contain hatchets, skateboards and angels are plain white. The player must remain aware of the vitality meter, which constantly runs down at a steady pace and can only be refilled by collecting fruit throughout the level. There is also one doll to collect in each level, which doubles the bonus points awarded at the end of the level and, as already mentioned, if all dolls are collected "hidden levels" are unlocked.

At the end of every "area" (thus every four "rounds"), the boy will encounter an incarnation of the chief antagonist as a boss character. Once defeated, the mighty lord's mask flies off and transforms into an item such as a tea cup or a piece of fruit for the boy to collect. The evil witch doctor then subsequently makes his escape.

A two-player mode was available, but as per many arcade titles of the era, it was a version of the one-player mode whereby each player would take alternate turns between lives.

The game also contained an hidden eighth area, which could be accessed by collecting every one of the 28 dolls in the game.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:rc13xmfy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiI8C-NJTq8[/align:rc13xmfy]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Papa

My wife actually beats the recorded high score on Twin Galaxies for this game regularly.  We have never taped it to be submitted.  The series is extremely fun.  I like all of the sequels.  I was never really into the Adventure Island remakes, as the lead character is not as appealing to me as the original.  I also played the arcade version a lot at a local pool house in my youth.  It munched it's share of my quarters back in the day.  Now we play it on my specially constructed Sega arcade cabinet and the old lady whoops up on it quite readily!   :113:
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

snowmaan

Is there a way to play this on a PC does anyone know?

I've tried it on an emulator on Android devices which isn't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrekMD

I suppose through emulators.  I guess you need to find which system you want to emulate on the PC.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...