Game soundtracks

Started by obriethe1st, May 06, 2015, 21:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obriethe1st

While talking with a few mates about our favorite game soundtrack i realised mine is Castlevania Symphony of the Night without a shadow of a doubt.
Living away in digs in shitehole town the only escape was tanking cheap stella a few spliffs and many a good game night,and it was so many moons ago living in salford and partaking of multiplayer worms and spying through the haze of a woodbine i heard the spectacular awesomeness of symphony of the night's phenomenal aural delights for the 1st time.This would begin an appreciation...nay obsession of the soundtrack to this also awesome game.I'm sure all of us on this fine forum have succumbed to rabid near crazy behaviour to get that,which we covet most... as a soundtrack...awesome...as a game?
.. :113:

So fellow forumites what is YOUR fave game music/soundtrack?

Greyfox

OMG!, were do you start?

The Metal Gear Solid Soundtrack 1,2,3, number 4 was a bit of a let down to me but still good, another great soundtrack was Bionic Commando (3D Remake back in 2008, I think), I have an extensive and wide collection of video game soundtracks, they'd probably take up about 4-6 DVD's worth, some many classic soundtracks, I couldn't even begin to fathom what was the best.

obriethe1st

EchoPark

Turrican series had some great tunes. I keep meaning to buy the Turrican Soundtrack Anthology, gutted I missed the kickstarter.

I don't think the music is great but Colonization music always put a smile on my face.
Gamer/Geocaching/Hockey!

obriethe1st

Good call on the Turrican series Echo,i remember playing the c64 version and the music being damn fine.Also The Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage 1+2 Yuzo Koshiro at his best...shame about streets of rage 3.

Shadowrunner

Definitely agree with Castlevania SOTN! One of my favourite games and a great soundtrack! I've also always really liked the music in Doom, the versions that have music that is, and the Sonic games come to mind too :69:

Greyfox

okay going out on a limb here on Arcade Soundtracks

Outrun
Shinobi
Double Dragon
Paperboy
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Enduro Racer
Chase HQ
Rolling Thunder
Ghosts'n'Goblins
Rastan
Super Hang On

will do my Snes list 2moro :)

obriethe1st

Indeed Outrun also has a fantastic soundtrack Greyfox,nothing like rolling to some splashwave or magical sound shower on a rainy day to cheer yourself up and get a smile on your face.Outrun 2 with the remixes of classic outrun tunes also hits the spot,and Elevator Action Returns has a typical zuntata funky beat especially level 3.
For some reason i often wake up to the Dodonpachi soundtrack in my head as well(maybe im finally surrendering my sanity) does anyone else wake up to game soundtracks playing in their head?

Greyfox

Snes soundtracks now.

For some of the best cartridge soundtracks on a chip, these are great

Donkey Kong Country series
Time trax
Super adventure island
Super star wars trilogy
Castlevania series
Act raiser series
Maximum carnage
Xmen and Spider-Man
Plok
Wagan Paradise
Water world
Jurassic park 2

wyldephang

Most of my favorites are included in the lists I submitted for the RVG music player:

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... ic=4631.15

I've discovered that possibly over half of the links are dead now.  :40: In general, I love the works of Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger), Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage 2), Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda/Super Mario Bros.), Tim Follin (Solstice), and David Wise (Donkey Kong Country). When you listen to the level of nuance that goes into their compositions, you really appreciate them as artists. My iPod is half filled with original video game soundtracks, too, so there is a lot I'm not mentioning here for brevity's sake.
- Ryan

JoeMusashi

What, no F-Zero on that list Greyfox??!!  :13:

I have to agree with the Yuzo Koshiro inclusion. Truly awesome bloke.
Also agree with Doom.

A few OSTs that come to my mind: Tempest 2000, Hellfire, Crazy Taxi, Shadow of the Beast

Greyfox

Quote from: "JoeMusashi"What, no F-Zero on that list Greyfox??!!  :13:

yes, your right, it should be there..was an incredible bit of 16-bit tune-age!! and is here in my Top 40th Snes hits Download

obriethe1st

Joe nice shout on hellfire,i love that game still have my original import copy from i think 1990..good god i feel old have to ask though do you have a pal copy or jpn?The only reason i ask is the art on the jpn release is awesome and sort of reminds me of gleylancer a game i stupidly swapped back in the day...different story for another day though.

EchoPark

The topic made me go through my old Mini Discs to check some of the other game music I may of loved, I wasn't disappointed :) Most of these are from Amiga though lol

Lotus Turbo Challenge series, Lemmings 1/2, Pinball Dreams, Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2, Virtual Tennis, Duck Tales, Chip & Dale. Plus I loved the intros to Blood Money, Elite Frontier, Gods, Cannon Fodder and that Formula One game on the Amiga that used Fletwood Mac song ... that got me so pumped up.

Sure theres tons more but all this just reminds me that game soundtracks just aren't what they use to be lol
Gamer/Geocaching/Hockey!

JoeMusashi

I've got a PAL copy of Hellfire. I would love to pick up a Japanese copy as I do like to have PAL and import versions of my favourite games, just for the variation in artwork if nothing else... Prices are getting a bit silly these days though, in general.

EchoPark, the fact you're checking through Mini Disc collections for video game sound tracks is ace! Love it  :51:) and the Lady Madonna rendition of Bomb Jack.