Let's Compare Jordan vs Bird: One on One

Started by TrekMD, April 24, 2015, 22:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Jordan vs. Bird: One on One is a 1988 basketball video game developed by Electronic Arts. It is available for the Mega Drive/Genesis, the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Commodore 64, Game Boy and the PC. It was also available as a Tiger Handheld Electronic Game. It is the sequel to One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird.

Gameplay:

Michael Jordan of the Chicago Bulls and Larry Bird of the Boston Celtics were the only two players in the game, which allowed the player to participate in a one-on-one basketball game. Mini-games included a slam dunk contest (utilizing Jordan) and a three-point contest (utilizing Bird). Mega placed the game at #7 in their list of the 10 Worst Mega Drive Games of All Time.Evidence shows that the game may be rigged so that Larry Bird wins more often than not.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:3g9svwvy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQS5VuUANJg[/align:3g9svwvy]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

ArcadeAction

I enjoyed playing Dr. J vs. Bird on the Commodore 64, and had hand-held game of Jordan vs. Bird.

Papa

The GB version is a bit ridiculous, graphically and gameplay-wise.  The C64 version title looks like it's saying Micheal Larry VS. Jordan Bird and the graphics look like Duke Nukem VS Dennis Rodman (Why have Jordans hair be white?).   The MS-DOS version seems to over-endorse Jordan with the Nike emblem.   The NES one looks like two kids in a high school gymnasium and the blocking looks like a butt-grab technique mixed with a failed high five or an epileptic fit.  The Genesis version looks great, but seems to suffer in the game play department.  I really never was into rapidly dated sports titles, but this just seems like a failed eighties concept that lasted too long.  Just my opinion, of course.  I wonder why they never came out with a 'Mutant League Basketball'?  Maybe they could have heads or little alien hedgehogs be the ball!?! 
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

zapiy

Great game and one i had completely forgotten about, owned and played this a lot on the Megadrive/Genesis... So that's my shout.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5490

This game still has some classic entertainment value for an old sports game.  Always love the dunk contest  :16:

zapiy

I had this on the SMD/SG and i loved it at the time.. not aged well me thinks lol.. As above the GB version looks terrible.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC