Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out

Started by TrekMD, April 24, 2015, 22:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

The Atari Lynx, to this day, remains my most favorite handheld system.  One of the issues with the console, though, is that the screen has not aged very well.  So, what to do?  How about replacing the LCD screen with a modern one?  How about adding a VGA out port?  That's exactly what Marco Willig has done.  Marco has created a mod for both the Lynx I and II models that let you replace the original screen with a modern LCD that makes the games shine like never before.  You can also add a VGA out connector to play your games on a larger screen.  Below are some pictures to compare the original screen to the updated screen and two videos reviewing the mod. 

You can order a mod kit so you can do the work yourself or you can have Marco do it for you for a fee.  You can reach Marco at: order-lynx-lcd[at]online.de.  I just got my modded Lynx II back a few days ago and it is really a site to see.  The quality if awesome! 

[align=center:cw75nep8]

Lynx II LCD Replacement Review
http://youtu.be/-NQaoRDVGms

Lynx I LCD Replacement Review
http://youtu.be/Q3vUkUV687Q[/align:cw75nep8]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

The difference is incredible! I'm going to have to think about getting this done!

TrekMD

Don't think too hard about it.  This one is well worth it! 

TrekMD

The guys from Austretrogamer have written an article about this mod:  Operation: Atari Lynx LCD Mod.

AmigaJay

Whilst i agree its alot clearer, some people still prefer the lcd pixel look, pity you can't have the pixel look with the extra brightness of the new lcd!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

I agree it does look awesome but not at the cost..

I appreciate it prolly costs a lot to make the mod but i can't justify the outlay.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC