Sega Mega CD Thread

Started by dcultrapro, April 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

You know, I had completely forgotten about Cadillacs and Dinosaurs!  I need to get that!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Never heard of it.. Any good?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: "zapiy"Never heard of it.. Any good?

It's a port of an arcade game.  I've heard it is a good game but it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Ben

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "zapiy"Never heard of it.. Any good?

It's a port of an arcade game.  I've heard it is a good game but it doesn't appeal to everyone.

I just wanted to clarify that, and make sure people know there are two separate Cadillacs and Dinosaurs games.  An arcade beat 'em up by Capcom and a hyrbrid FMV shooter exclusive to the Mega CD that was later ported to Windows PCs.  As far as I know, the Capcom beat 'em up never saw a home console release.  Here are videos comparing them:

First, the Mega CD game:  Cadillacs and Dinosaurs The Second Cataclysm (Mega-CD)

Then the Capcom arcade game: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs Arcade - 3 players Playthrough

They are both based on a really great, 1950's inspired comic series that was sadly never finished, called Xenozoic Tales:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenozoic_Tales

TrekMD

Those two games are as different as they can be!  I did know about the story coming from a comic book.  I just didn't realize it was a comic book from the 50's!

Ben

Quote from: "TrekMD"Those two games are as different as they can be!  I did know about the story coming from a comic book.  I just didn't realize it was a comic book from the 50's!

Actually, the funny thing about it is, it's only drawn to look like it's from the 50's (as well as in b&w), it was actually done in the late 80's/early 90's as an indie book.   Mark Schultz was so good at replicating that style that he got the job drawing Prince Valiant  (a strip that began in the 30's and maintains a classic art style).  From what I understand, doing a smaller Indie book wasn't paying the bills, which is why he had to stop and do Prince Valiant instead.  There was also a cartoon based on it (called Cadillacs and Dinosaurs instead of Xenozoic Tales, also where the games get their name), but it's not faithful to the comics.  It's available in a really nice (and cheap) collection: U.S. - http://www.amazon.com/Xenozoic-Mark-Schultz/dp/1933865318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407382761&sr=8-1&keywords=xenozoic+tales U.K.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xenozoic-Mark-Schultz/dp/1933865318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407382800&sr=8-1&keywords=xenozoic

TrekMD

Oh, that's even cooler.  :)

onthinice

I suck at the game on the Sega CD but the cartoon is cool. Never read the comics but sounds worth tracking down one.

Bobinator

I can vouch that the arcade game is like a million times better, and that you should be playing that instead. The Sega CD game is one of the many, many attempts to make an FMV-based action game, much like Rebel Assault or Microcosm, and it just... really doesn't work.

WiggyDiggyPoo

C&D arcade is awesome, dijt rea;ise the SegaCD version was such gash!

TrekMD

Just watched this from the Game Sack guys.  Check it out...

[align=center:22qq8g06]Game Sack - The Sega CD[/align:22qq8g06]

onthinice

I for one, am glad the Sega CD was made. Sure it had some stinkers but doesn't every system or add-on?

I still enjoy playing some of the games. Willy Beamish and Final Fight never get old.

Ben

I just watched that Game Sack video (thanks for posting TrekMD), and I think it does a good job of showing that there are quality games for the console.  To me, there are two main issues. 1.  The best games are very rare, expensive and obscure and 2.  There are only certain genres well represented, this is not a console where you can say that there is something for everyone.  I wish they had touched more on the Japan only releases (especially the RPGs), several of which have thankfully been fan translated.  I have to say that, speaking only for myself, I never regretted the Mega CD purchase and it is still one of my favorite consoles.  But, I also love RPGs, shmups, and side scrolling platformers/beat 'em ups as well as the occasional anime inspired FMV game.  If those aren't your thing, this just isn't a console worth picking up, I think.  If they are, this console is going to be full of hidden gems for you.

onthinice

You make a lot of good points Ben.

For me at least, it was impressive when first released. My friend Jim bought the first model and we were not disappointed with the games. Renting Road Avenger quite a lot.

I still remember getting Echo the Dolphin new and playing it with friends, we were all blown away. Bill Walsh College Football received a lot of play time as well. The hours I spent playing Third World War and Racing Aces.

I would like to thank Sega again and Sony should also. Sure the Sony titles were not all that good but it was lessons learned for when the Playstation was released.

So thank you Sega!

zapiy

Some great points made guys.. certainly the best games appear to be the most expensive.. i guess thats just typical lol..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC