Sega Mega CD Thread

Started by dcultrapro, April 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Seeing all these terrible reviews for Night Striker I just had to look it up. I had vague memories of it being a blocky mess and looks like I was not wrong . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p9NfFSCWzc

Rogue Trooper

Seem to recal a certain 'industry troll' (hint:might find him in church, lol) saying the only game to really use the MCD 3D/Sprite hardware before dissapearing down the toilet of console history, was Thunderhawk, which might be surprising to anyone who owned:

Batman Returns (driving sections, plus intro scenes) Earnest Evans, Soul Star, Battle Corps, Powermonger (fly-bys etc), BC Racers, Sonic CD (bonus stage), Joe Montana etc etc.

Starting to wonder just how much research went into a lot of the stuff i read in 'respected' publications back in the day....

onthinice

I remember Chuck Rock being another title that was pushed hard. It really does not seem much different from the cart. Maybe better music.

TL

onthinice

Good Review! I like that Sega took chances. Some of the games have little to offer over the cart version but I think Sega tried to support the CD add-on with quality titles.

TL

It's interesting because my Mega CD was probably one of the most played machines at my retro event over the weekend.

onthinice

That is good news. I am naming you the next Mega CD Good Will Ambassador! Keep bringing hope to deprived fans the world over. :113:

TL

TrekMD

[align=center:1ves7h9n][size=140]All Sega/Mega CD box art scans until 4:50...[/size][/align:1ves7h9n]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TehkeT64Q#ws

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Great stuf fella.. Really impressive.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

OH man that Lunar game above may have some of the best/worst voice acting I've ever heard  :105:

onthinice

Quote from: "Lorfarius"OH man that Lunar game above may have some of the best/worst voice acting I've ever heard  :21:  A true classic.

Ben

The one game that still kills me, is Phantasy Star IV.  Supposedly that was originally going to be a Mega CD exclusive, and it's one the add on sorely missed (I would have loved to hear that soundtrack in CD quality).

Lorfarius

For me the MegaCD was always one of my fondest retro experiences but after I'd played through Snatcher and Popful Mail it sort of lost its luster.  I just wish Sega had'nt been fighting in house so much and actually focused in making more use of the format, they had the perfect example of amazing CD systems especially in Japan as the PCEngine had done wonders with it.

Ben

Quote from: "Lorfarius"For me the MegaCD was always one of my fondest retro experiences but after I'd played through Snatcher and Popful Mail it sort of lost its luster.  I just wish Sega had'nt been fighting in house so much and actually focused in making more use of the format, they had the perfect example of amazing CD systems especially in Japan as the PCEngine had done wonders with it.

You know, this may be sacrilege for some people, but I would still take the Mega CD library over the TG16/PCEngine CD.  Sonic CD, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Lunar, Lunar 2, Snatcher, Dark Wizard, Earthworm Jim Special Edition, Final Fight CD, fun straight FMV games like Time Gal, Road Blaster, Revenge of the Ninja and then you get into the Japan only library...

That said, it depends on what genres you are into, and I'm admittedly a Sega fanboy.  But I was never disappointed with my Mega CD growing up, my anger was always more that they killed it in favor of the 32X/32X CD platform.  Don't get me wrong, the 32X did have a few gems, but I still think that being left with such a pricey add on with little support was a big factor in driving people away from Sega to Sony in the U.S., when the Saturn launched.