ZX Spectrum 128K Plus2 1U 19" Rack mod

Started by guest5540, March 15, 2015, 04:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest5540

Here is a post on my ZX Spectrum 128k Plus2 (Grey) computer which I have put inside a 1 Unit 19" Rack.

I have included many photos of the production stages and hope you find them inspiring especially if you are considering a ZX Spectrum 128k mod project.

Here are some of the main production stages involved.

1) Purchase a 19" Rack that will allow for the Sinclair Spectrum 128k plus2 (Grey) Motherboard.

2) Cut the bottom part of the case so it will fit inside the rack and allow the back panel to remain as this will be fit  snug into a cut-out on the back of the rack. Adjust Screw holes that the motherboard sits on, this is to allow the back peripherals/ports to fit snug against the back panel.

3) Attach the motherboard to base and the back should be snug.

4) The back of the rack has been cut out and filed to allow the base part to fit in snug and neatly as if the plastic case was almost meant to be like that. I fit a screw into the metal back to hold the VGA port tight and also bolsters the VGA port to allow plugging and unplugging without straining the circuit board.

5) Fit a large heatsink inside the rack to attach the power regulator to. I really like this heatsink... It does the job!

6) Fit a Female Molex power connector as a power socket. Use only the 5 volt line for the 9Volt positive line and the ground for ground. I have modified the Molex MALE plug to have the original DC power connector/socket.. then hot glued around it and the soldered on wires.

7) Attach 5 and 8 pin headers for the external keyboard to connect to. The wires attached to these pins will be soldered to a Parallel port socket. This has enough pins on for my external keyboard.

8) From left to right is 1) Reset button 2) Amp/Audio on-off/toggle DPDT switch (6 pins). 3) Ear in (Load) 4) Mic out (Save) 5) Amp Gain dial.

9) From the middle to the right is 1) Parallel port used for external Keyboard. 2) 2x RS232 serial ports as Joystick ports.

The photos of the External keyboard are below. The photo where it is plugged in, is in my first ZX Spectrum rack mod, which looks grotty but will neaten it up with a better face plate later.

zapiy

Brilliant work fella..

What was the reasoning for the mod?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5540

The reason for the mod was to have a contained Spectrum 128k inside a 19" Rack to compliment my 2 Yamaha A3000 Samplers. I use the Spectrum to program MIDI tracks in basic and play the Samplers from the Spectrum 128k. I can also play games with my partner's kids too. I have modded 2 PS1 controllers to work with the SJS2 Sinclair joystick ports. I have included 2 SJS joystick ports on the front fascia like I did in my first mod.

Greyfox

deadly fella, you have certainly changed everything up in this mod, now you need to spray it jet black, with a 4 colour trim at a angle now :113:

zapiy

Very clever work indeed and very useful for your situation.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Carlos

I like this very much, with the pcb removed from the case, you had freedom to cut the keyboard to a nice symmetrical shape.