Author Topic: Hello from China (although I'm not Chinese, I'm British lol)  (Read 1494 times)

guest5526

Hello from China (although I'm not Chinese, I'm British lol)
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Hey all,

I've been on here a few days already and not yet posted an introduction, wasn't really sure what to say!

I've been a fan of Sega since I was knee high to a grasshopper, when my (younger) brother received a Game Gear for his birthday and my friends at school had (mostly) Megadrives. I was given a GG a little while after my brother (although my one was second-hand...go figure lol) but didn't get any others until I bought a Master System (Mark 1) at a car boot sale in 1999. That's when my own collection started.

I feel I've always had an unconventional taste in games and felt that Sega consoles catered for that better than any others. Nintendo games, good though they are, tend to be aimed at children and the more recent consoles from Sony and Microsoft focus too much on moody shooting games for my liking. I enjoyed games that were easy to pick up and fun to play. Me and my brother spent many hours on our Game Gears when we were young, we had a link cable and playing Streets of Rage etc was great.

I think my interest in games peaked during the life of the Dreamcast, Sega put so much creative effort into that little white box and I loved it. Rez (for the DC, although I have the PS2 version too) is my prize possession, and you can't beat a bit of Ulala either! During this time I also finally got my own Saturn, 32X, Mega-CD, Nomad and a heap of games to go with them. My favourites are the Saturn and the Dreamcast, but I feel the 32X could have done so much more in the right hands. It was horrendously underutilised.

These days I'm really fascinated to see talented people still making games for old platforms. There is no reason they should be neglected and I think this is a really great thing to do. I only wish I knew how to program, I'd try my own hand at making some games if I did! Currently I'm living in Guangzhou in China, so my games are all gathering dust in the UK (a bit bulky to bring with me sadly). I hope to move back soon though and enjoy them again. Have a hankering for NiGHTS in particular...

Glad to be a part of this community now.  :113:

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from China (although I'm not Chinese, I'm British
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 14:06:54 PM »
Welcome :) Nice intro, and nice to see a big Sega fan around here! How did you end up in China?

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 14:34:59 PM »
Welcome aboard, great introduction btw. Also nice to see someone around with some love for the Gamegear.

How did you find us?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 14:58:48 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Very nice intro!  :)
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

guest5526

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

First question first, I ended up here because I wanted a bit of adventure. England is a lovely place to live in many respects but it's expensive and I was/am familiar with it. However, China is a completely different kettle of fish (or box of game carts?  :69:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal