Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 2130 times)

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
Hi Everyone
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:18:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I met TrekMD this weekend at an arcade show and learned about this great site while we played the mighty Vectrex!

The first console system I owned was the Atari 5200. I still remember my highscore on Pacman from all these years: 647,960! My friends all seemed to own different consoles and computers so that was great as I got introduced to 2600, 7800, Sega Master System, NES, Intellivision, Colecovision, C64, Apple, Atari computers, IBM PC Jr, Macintosh, DOS etc, etc, and so on through today.

I bought my first computer after saving up my paper route money for 17 months - sometimes in as cold as -40 below fahrenheit weather! But it was worth it.

These days I put much of my time in the retro hobby on restoring arcade machines. I probably enjoy listening to other peoples' experiences with console games and the old arcade scene as much as anything.

I can still smell the pizza when playing Galaga from back in the day... let's keep those memories alive!

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:52:05 AM »
Hi and officially welcome to RVG! Glad you joined the site!  What happened to your 5200?  I didn't get a 5200 until I was an adult.  I like that it has games that are only available for it.  RealSports Baseball on the 5200 is an amazing game! 

That's quite an impressive score for Pac-Man on the 5200!  How long were you playing?!? 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:30 AM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Hi and officially welcome to RVG! Glad you joined the site!  What happened to your 5200?  I didn't get a 5200 until I was an adult.  I like that it has games that are only available for it.  RealSports Baseball on the 5200 is an amazing game! 

That's quite an impressive score for Pac-Man on the 5200!  How long were you playing?!?

My 5200: I remember taking the controllers apart attempting to fix them! Pacman, Centipede, Moon Patrol, Frogger, Dig Dug, Pole Position, Jungle Hunt, Mario Bros, Joust...  my goal was to get the actual arcade machines for each. My 5200 got "lost" when moving one time... I have several cartridges though. Mario Bros is quite good on it I think and beats the NES version in some respects.

Pacman: They were long games I think. There were some patterns I figured out with my brother. Also there are some apparent bugs you can take advantage of later on in the game past the KEY stages. The 5200 scoring was like the arcade while the 2600 I think just gave 1pt per pellet if I recall.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:02 AM »
Welcome :) Gotta love the arcade classics!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
Hello and welcome aboard.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »
Those are all great 5200 titles.  Did you know there's a Pac-Man Arcade homebrew release for the 5200?  It is closer to the arcade in many respects.  Might want to check it out.

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 17:00:18 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Those are all great 5200 titles.  Did you know there's a Pac-Man Arcade homebrew release for the 5200?  It is closer to the arcade in many respects.  Might want to check it out.

I didn't know that until just last night. I read the review and saw it here on the site! It looks like a great version. The maze and eyes on the ghosts look good.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 18:49:34 PM »
Yes, it is an excellent version.  The programmer tried to be as arcade accurate as possible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal