Retro VGS: New Retro Game Console

Started by Shadowrunner, February 18, 2015, 15:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Quote from: "zapiy"Not through a lack of trying, more a lack of understanding the demograph they are going for.
That was always my problem with it and I think it hurt equally as much as the price jump along with Indiegogo.  In the U.S., I could buy for $170 (just under the original cost):
For $80 a refurbished small form IBM ThinkCentre that could emulate any console through the 32 bit era easily running Linux or a BSD.  I could then buy a high quality USB gamepad to go with it for around $40.
For $50 a quality used Dreamcast with controller I could obtain new indie/homebrew games for + plus play native Dreamcast games and even emulate some older consoles.

The reason to back it would be for exclusive retro style games and the cartridge format, if that is really important to you.  I don't really care too much about disc vs. cartridge but I would have been up for a new "retro" console with exclusives.  $300 for what was looking more and more like a console that wouldn't have exclusives and that I could achieve more or less the same with using a refurbished PC + Dreamcast at $170 just doesn't make a lot of sense.

AmigaJay

You cant really compare it to emulation machines or which i find strange ps4, xb1, but because and simple they wanted a new cartridge machine and people who purely want that format without installing, updates etc
Its a sound idea, but there clearly isnt enough support for a niche product like this, even at $199 i think it would have struggled getting what they are asking for.
Defo inidiegogo killed this before it got going, a mistake they were pointed out befored doing so, they even admitted KS would allow non prototype products but they didnt want people to get the wrong impression, so i suppose its damned if you dont and damned if you do scenero!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

I am gutted is all i can say.. where do they go now?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Omg after watching that and with zero investors as of from 2 days ago this is now most definitely appearing a still birth.

I think that need to walk back to the meeting room and get a functioning prototype together and do a kickstarter!

nosweargamer

Quote from: "Greyfox"Omg after watching that and with zero investors as of from 2 days ago this is now most definitely appearing a still birth.

I think that need to walk back to the meeting room and get a functioning prototype together and do a kickstarter!

I think you may be right.

I haven't been able to do lot of audio recording lately, but I did get a few moments to record this video.
In it I summarize how the Retro VGS became a mess and 5 steps on how it can win gamers like myself back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfZwNCLC0tU

Greyfox

Some great and valid point there fella, but I think the rot has already settled in now. They would need to firstly give everybody back there money and drop Indigogo altogether now, and go off and replace the time they've wasted all those months previous or to the fact of the person "Kevitris" who had a FPGA board near completion for them and now wait until the new tech they have on board has done his Prototype board and then restart the kick-starter.

Although they've had to dealt with a lot of abuse from the internet communities over how badly they've conducted themselves, a lot of people know that they are sincere in there proposal, they are way off the mark in their pricing and it has nothing to do with them been inexperienced to me, or that fact that they need finances to help keep them a float in the future months, secondly they have absolutely no QA team in place either for beat testing the machine, the games etc. even that wouldn't cost the asking price. Their chip-set architecture they are planning can be bought from china for 50 bucks or less in bulk as an FPGA chipset ready to go

QuoteJohn Carlsen has confirmed 2 important things:

They have settled on a spec of 16,000 DhryMIPS for the ARM processor and that he's currently using a Rockchip 3188 for prototyping. He states that is their minimum. That also means there's no assurance it will be a Quad Core A9 rather than a faster speed Dual Core, which would better benefit Indie games i'd believe.

The machine will use more than 1GB of RAM, though Several GB of RAM is not necessary for it's function. So, if it gets 2GB of RAM it's as powerful as the Wii U probably, lol.

So, at least those are settled. I just wish Mike Kennedy would stop acting like Gamers are buying a dream and not hardware, John Carlsen is a great hardware guy but likes to keep from public speaking.

something like this : Ebay

Papa

I sure hope they do get it back on track.  There are enough games out there today done in the older style to have a lot of great software without the need to have adapters for older systems. 

Great vid NSG.
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

TrekMD

That's a good video, nosweargamer, and it makes valid points.  We all want to see this succeed but there are things that need to be changed to garner our support.  Your five recommendations are on point. 

zapiy

Brilliant video NSG and I think from RVG's point of view we have at least 7 people singing from the same hymn sheet on this. So expanding these feelings across the net you can see this could be successful if they listen to a few people.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

The VGS team has been interviewed by RGM.  Check out the interview here (both audio and text):  RGM INTERVIEW WITH RETRO VGS TEAM (UNOFFICIAL COPY FROM AUDIO INTERVIEW).

zapiy

Ok, just going back to post #153, these guys have valid opinions but i somehow feel that they are missing this point.

They mentioned that not having these system online so games can be fixed as a mistake.. That's supposed the be the reason, that its not online. Yes games will have bugs but that's the risk we all take, i doubt that's the reason this is unsuccessful..

Greyfox

Omg it's gone ??!? It's now going back on the numbers, now at 64,xxx. Do they really think it's going to become a reality, I've never seen this before were backer reseed their backing? It his has to be a first. Very sad case of affairs it really is. They shouldn't have believed that introducing a machine targeted mainly at collectors which so many have raised as one of the major reasons this has sunk.

Maybe phase of a restart will hopefully get it right and people will invest in it.

zapiy

Nah its happened loads mate, just more noticeable at such a low amount.

TrekMD

Yep, I agree with Zap.  People do withdraw support for projects, that's not a surprise.