Retro VGS: New Retro Game Console

Started by Shadowrunner, February 18, 2015, 15:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Here it is https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

3 hours in and just over $40,000 so far. The goal is just short of 2 million so a long way to go but obviously some people are supporting this. I still believe they have the best intentions here but I'm just not prepared to pay that much money and wait however long it takes for them to manufacture them.

If it gets funded and makes it to retail I'll take another look at it then. Best of luck to them.

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Going to need to achieve more that $45,000 a day so not looking good..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

No doesnt look like it, the big trouble was switching to indiegogo, with kickstarter you can built up momentum, people seeing it fail wont even contribute, it looks like it will crash and burn before even taking off.

Shame.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

I guess it has time, how much do they need to get? I heard Indiegogo collects the money whatever?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

They need $2 million.... Indiegogo takes payment instantly, but refunds if unsuccessful, people myself included prefer the kickstarter method, plus its in the middle of payday not everyone has £200-£250 at the drop of a hat, like i said if something goes well then people get more interested and may well get involved, the way indiegogo works doesnt help and having a poor start just puts people off, id be very surprised if this gets 1/2 million.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

TrekMD

It is at $59,507 right now.  They still have 44 days left but, at that pace, it seems unlikely it will reach the $2 million mark.  I think going to Indiegogo is a factor that is not helping. 

Ben

Quote from: "TrekMD"It is at $59,507 right now.  They still have 44 days left but, at that pace, it seems unlikely it will reach the $2 million mark.  I think going to Indiegogo is a factor that is not helping.
I have to agree, I make a point of never backing anything on Indiegogo.  I wasn't too thrilled with this console when it was planned for Kickstarter, since I still hadn't seen a good explanation of who the target audience was and they kept expanding the plans for it with retro console emulation. At this point, I think it makes more sense and  it would be preferable to just keep backing more Dreamcast homebrews since it's a given they'll get release if funded and I at least won't have that much money on the line if something doesn't work out.

TrekMD

Over at Retro Gamin Mag's site, Carl Williams has written a commentary on the console and the campaing:  RETRO VGS Sees Immense Social Media Backlash as Crowdfunding Project Begins.

zapiy

rush6432

I have to say, the amount of drama surrounding this project is immense...

While a great idea, i just don't think its going to get off the ground due to many un-answered or evaded questions among many other things. It seems the window for this to succeed has come and gone... Then again i could be wrong, but things aren't looking good.

zapiy

Yeah i think it had a lot of people interested.. Somewhere down the line though its gotten slightly bigger than most of us thought it would.

Shadowrunner

It's too bad. All they had to do was keep it simple, take some time to create a prototype and launch it properly on Kickstarter. They had momentum but completely blew it over the past month or so.

TrekMD

This is just not going well.  The discussion on AA and FB is quite messy, sadly.  Not that the points being raised are not valid.  Then there's this article:  Please do not give Retro VGS any of your money posted at SavyGamer.  And there there's this:  FPGA Based Videogame System.  This certainly has potential without costing so much and it does appear to be ready to emulate quite a few systems. 

AmigaJay

One thing i HATE to see is sites telling people what to do, fair enough if its not for you dont buy it, but to tell people not to buy it is another example of lack of respect this generation, if it doesnt fund it doesnt fund, its not down to him to spread word not to buy into it, idiots like him really get on my tits (if u couldn't tell!).

Re the campaign, its a pity they didnt go with the original price model and ditch the fgpa to keep the cost down as that seems a big factor in people not pledging, the ngdev games dont even use the fgpa, people just wanted a cartridge machine again tbh.