Retro VGS: New Retro Game Console

Started by Shadowrunner, February 18, 2015, 15:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaJay

Project getting pulled from Indiegogo, will be relaunched when a prototype ready, and hopefully on kickstarter!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Shadowrunner

Good to see they're not completely blind! Hopefully this first attempt didn't do too much damage and they can come back later with a better plan.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Shadowrunner

Yeah, here's the update from their IGG page.

QuoteHey Everyone! It's clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.

The good news is we aren't giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of... other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.

We will be back in the near future with a prototype RETRO VGS system, front-and-center playing our games on our cartridges and with our USB controller. Sit tight, be patient and RETRO VGS will return.

Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a new crowdfunding campaign.

zapiy

Wait till Feb next year and go for it.. Certainly not this side of xmas now. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Cool.  Good to see they listened to what was being said.  This will ensure they get support next time.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Well, I don't think this will guarantee any success, looking at some comments around the net proves there are many haters and people that are not at all into this system regardless of what the guys do.. That is sad, but that is life. If they remedy some of the previously mentioned issues, they I hope they get a winning chance and they we most like get the support of us.. (if that really matters)

Shadowrunner

Yeah, hard to say if people will give them a second chance or not.

This probably won't help either, Carlsen has jumped ship.

From facebook:
QuoteAs Mike had alluded yesterday, after about seven months of hard work I have recently decided to leave the Retro VGS team.

Before I go, I would like to thank every one of our loyal and vocal fans, including our critics, for showing us that you care about our project. I would especially like to thank our backers for their willingness to fund our massive development project and to wait a year to be the first to play our new video game system.

I have enjoyed reconnecting with Steve Woita, who was my colleague at Mediagenic 25 years ago, and getting to know Mike Kennedy, whose warmhearted enthusiasm for retro gaming brought our team together and built a community around it.

Together, we learned a lot, both good and bad. We learned how to offer high-quality, modern games on high-performance cartridges for reasonable prices. We learned how we could offer a system that performs more like a PlayStation 3 than a Raspberry Pi 2 for only a negligible difference in price. (By the way, I don't mean to knock either of these two great products by making these comparisons.) We learned the costs of shipping complete systems individually to nearly anywhere in the world, and that it costs significantly more than stuffing tube socks into a flat-rate box. Although we already knew we would save massive up-front development costs, we learned how much re-using the former Jaguar case adds to the price of each unit. Over time, we learned each others' strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, we also learned that outsiders would fraudulently claim to be part of our team and accept credit for our work, sometimes while defaming it and us in the process.

Despite all this, I still believe that video games can once again be reasonably free of defects before they are released, just as Nintendo did with its Seal of Quality program, and that cartridges can extend the maximum size of physical distribution media beyond what has remained stagnant for nearly a decade. As we've seen through a recent patent, Nintendo appears to be on the right path.

I have enjoyed working and solving many of the unique and interesting problems this project has presented, and can only hope that I'm granted a similar opportunity in the future.
Although I am saddened that this work has not yielded a viable product, I take pride in knowing that we created a good design and offered it at a fair price through an honest campaign, and made many friends in the process.

Sincerely yours,
John Carlsen

TrekMD

Hmm, that's not good news.  Time will tell.  I guess we have to wait and see what develops in the end and what the prototype looks like.

zapiy

Who is paying for the proto i wonder?

Shadowrunner

Yeah I'm not sure. Mike has always said he has a full time day job as well, or they could always make more coloured Jaguar shells and carts to sell.

sunteam_paul

I think they've lost so much of the good will of their core audience that they will struggle to get support for a relaunch. Everyone is focussed on Kevtris's own project now.

TrekMD

Kevtris's project is really good and may have more of an audience that the Retro VGS right now.  I guess time will tell.

zapiy

Yeah, who will have the best support to actually make it viable will come out on top.

AmigaJay

I take it this kevtris is the bloke who agreed in all but writing to work with the RVGS team, but pulled out and now thinks he can go alone?
I certainly dont think he has more coverage than RVGS, i havent heard anything about what he is doing or plans for it to be made?
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018