Let's Compare Rygar

Started by TrekMD, February 15, 2015, 02:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Rygar is a video game created by Tecmo in 1986 and originally released for arcades in Japan as Warrior of Argus (アルゴスの戦士 Arugosu no Senshi?). It is a scrolling platform game where the player assumes the role as the "Legendary Warrior", battling through a hostile landscape. The main feature of gameplay is using a weapon called the "Diskarmor", a shield with a long chain attached to it.

Plot

The arcade game begins with the following introduction:

4.5 billion years have passed since Earth's creation. Many dominators have ruled in all their glory, but time was their greatest enemy and it defeated their reign. And now a new dominator's reign begins...

Information gleaned from console manuals reveals that the evil being Ligar has taken over the land of Argool, and Rygar, a dead warrior who has risen from his grave, must use his Diskarmor, along with a variety of other weapons, to stop him. In console versions clues and limited dialogue are given in the form of large, sage-like men encountered in stone green temples throughout the game.

In the Japanese original, references to "Ligar" and "Rygar" are one and the same because the Roman syllables "Li" and "Ry" come from the same Japanese character. In this version, the hero is only referred to as "The Legendary Warrior", while both "Rygar" and "Ligar" refer to the main villain.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:1c0fs0r7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qafXrT3lsA[/align:1c0fs0r7]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

WiggyDiggyPoo

Been meaning to get this for the music alone (Amstrad version), I actually like the C64 version the best as its got the music and lacks him shouting everytime he jumps or shoots (really annoying).

That Lynx version is weird, why is it zoomed in so much?

Nes versions seem to have ignored the music and done their own things.

That Sharp version though, really good and most like the arcade version.

TrekMD

When I saw the NES version I was like, WTF? 

I like the Lynx version even though it is zoomed in.  The Sharp version I think is the best in the bunch, though.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

I thought out f the 8-bit versions the Amstrad version was the most appealing, the spectrum version was out of its depth, the c64 had the gameplay but lacked fineness of any kind, colours were so bland, the Atari lynx version was exceptional considering the size of the display, it even has the Rygar lifting the Dragon pots at the end of the levels, the rest seemed to have removed or include.

I think the Sharp version is more or less the arcade version than a home port as such giving it the all hands down win, but I think the Amstrad, C64 and Atari Lynx versions combined bring it as close to the arcade version as possible, so my vote is for them.

zapiy

I have to agree GF, that Amstrad version looks pretty damn good to me..

The Lynx version I love lol but I do have that version.. but as Trek said i think the Sharp game is the best overall.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC