Let's Compare - Ballblazer

Started by TrekMD, January 09, 2015, 00:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Ballblazer is a 1984 computer game created by Lucasfilm Games (later LucasArts Entertainment). It was originally released for the Atari 8-bit systems, such as the Atari 800 and the Atari 5200. It was also ported to other popular platforms of the day, such as the Apple II, ZX Spectrum (by Dalali Software Ltd), Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Atari 7800, and the NES. The Atari 800 version was called Ballblaster during development - pirated versions of the game went by this name as well. The principal creator and programmer of Ballblazer was David Levine.

In 1990, LucasArts and Rainbow Arts released a remake and follow-up to this game, called Masterblazer. This game was released for the Amiga, Atari ST, and PC DOS. A similar game inspired by Ballblazer called Space Football: One on One was developed and released by Triffix for the Super NES in 1992. Years later on March 31, 1997, a remake of the original titled Ballblazer Champions was released for the Sony PlayStation.

Ballblazer is a simple one-on-one sports-style game bearing similarities to basketball and soccer. Each side is represented by a craft called a "rotofoil", which can be controlled by either a human player or a computer-controlled "droid" with ten levels of difficulty. (The game allows for human vs. human, human vs. droid, and droid vs. droid matches.) The basic objective of the game is to score points by either firing or carrying a floating ball into the opponent's goal. The game takes place on a flat, checkerboard playfield, and each player's half of the screen is presented in a first-person perspective.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:2y9gzqtv]Let's Compare ( BallBlazer )[/align:2y9gzqtv]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

My recollections of this game are that it was highly praised back in the day but I never could get a handle on it.

It is one of those games that converts very well to any platform.

I like the Commodore 64 version for the classic and the Amiga version of Masterblazer. A good effort for the 2600.

TrekMD

I first played this game on the 7800 and that still remains my favorite.  That PlayStation game is too different.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Agree. A lot of effort went into the Playstation version but it is so far from the original to even compare.