New Dreamcast & Atari Jaguar Homebrew - Alice's Mom's Rescue

Started by TrekMD, January 04, 2015, 18:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Starting the year in style, HuCast Games - the publishers behind various brand new releases for the Dreamcast - have announced that an all new platformer is heading to Sega's fabled console. Alice's Mom's Rescue is a traditional 2D adventure featuring the gameplay we all know and love wrapped up in a pixelated package.

Instead of opting to push the 128-bit console to its limits, this newly announced homebrew release looks set to focus more on gameplay elements than polygon power. Drawing inspiration from the likes of Nicky Boom and Toki Tori, Alice's Mom's Rescue not only features the familiar platforming elements, but also a puzzle side to its on-screen action.

While HuCast Games have said very little about this new title, you can expect to see it arriving as a physical release later this year. Until then, those interested will be pleased to hear that PC and Android versions of the game are already available.

Orion's site also indicates that game will be available for Jaguar CD, though it doesn't specify when.  Links to the PC and Android versions appear on Orion's page.  Below is a video of the game in action.

[align=center:peb9lteu]Alice's Mom's Rescue - Indie 2D platformer on Vimeo[/align:peb9lteu]

Sources:
Retro Collect
Orion's Indie Retro Games' Shop

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

AmigaJay

Hmm, im all i favour of new releases, but this looks very basic and a bit dull looking to play, and the animation is awful looking, i love pixel art so 2d platformer is not a problem for me on the DC, but there are better looking Amiga PD games out there! So i wont be looking forward to this one!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Shadowrunner

I kinda like the look of it, even if it is pretty basic. Cool it's coming out for so many platforms!

64bitRuss

I do find it rather insulting that when stormworks was updating us with trying to port Heretic onto the Jaguar, everywhere but here it was mocked and ridiculed as no-talent, illegal etc... But lately all those same people who did the ridicule over that are releasing roms of really crappy, low quality ST games and more 8-bit crap like this game.

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "64bitRuss"I do find it rather insulting that when stormworks was updating us with trying to port Heretic onto the Jaguar, everywhere but here it was mocked and ridiculed as no-talent, illegal etc... But lately all those same people who did the ridicule over that are releasing roms of really crappy, low quality ST games and more 8-bit crap like this game.

No offence Russ, but I really don't see what any of that has to do with this game. This game is being made by Orion, the same guy who made the Jag games Elansar, Philia, and Yopaz: IceStar. Maybe I missed something here, and please correct me if did, but I've never seen him make derogatory comments about other people's work. He's just a guy who likes to make games for old consoles. Sure they don't push the hardware, but they are still fun games that I've enjoyed and I appreciate his effort :)

ls650

Someone plans to release a game for systems that haven't been officially supported for 15 or 20 years...
and people still find something to complain about....

zapiy

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and if we did not complain what else would humans do lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

The game's available for Android already and PC, so it can be played there instead of getting it for one of the retro consoles. 

TrekMD

Orion has posted an updated about the game:  Well, good news, Alice's Mom's Rescue, my new pixel 2D platformer game is fully working on Jaguar!  It will play at 30Fps, on Jaguar CD, Memory Track support, and this will be a world premiere Hybrid CD!  You get both Jaguar and PC Windows version on the same CD!

Shadowrunner

Ben

I may just have to grab this for the Dreamcast.  So many games coming out this year for the DC, I love it.

dot.fyre

Looks good until you watch the video unfortunately.

As previously said, the animation looks poor and the moving/jumping mechanic looks very basic.

Pity.

TrekMD

For those interested, this is available for ordering already in Limited Edition and Standard Edition.

Order Standard Edition Here

Order Limited Edition Here

Shadowrunner

Thanks for the info :) I'm still trying to decide if I want to get this for the DC or the Jag. I would assume they're both the same, might come down to controller preference.

TrekMD

The official announcement about the JagCD release of the game has been made along with a potential ROM release:  The game will soon be available for the Jaguar CD, on professionally pressed CD in a DVD case + manual. (like Philia)  It plays at 30 fps in NTSC, and 25 fps in PAL. It support the Memory Track cartridge with automatic saving.

The CD will also include a PC Windows version ! (Hybrid CD)