New Commodore Amiga Homebrew - Love Dungeon

Started by TrekMD, December 21, 2014, 04:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

English Amiga Board member jimmy2x2x has released a new platformer for the Amiga called Love Dungeon.  The Game is a simple arcade game about collecting Hearts against the clock that was inspired by a Bruce Lee title.  jimmy2x2x set the goal of developing the game in four weeks in less than 64K.  Love Dungeon should work on all Amigas, Real, Emulated, PAL or NTSC.  The game is available for download at the English Amiga Board.  Check out a video of the game below...

[align=center:3ubhec7g]love dungeon teaser for Amiga[/align:3ubhec7g]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Looks a great little game. I aim to grab it over the next few days and have a bash.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Greyfox

Played this last night, by Jesus it's tough!!!, I could only do the first level, as you up against the most unforgiving time count down I've ever seen in a game lol. played via UAE2Droid on the JXD s7800b.

guest5466

Quote from: "Greyfox"Played this last night, by Jesus it's tough!!!, I could only do the first level, as you up against the most unforgiving time count down I've ever seen in a game lol. played via UAE2Droid on the JXD s7800b.

This isn't the first time I've read that its too hard!

Please see the following video as a brief tutorial on how to collect the hearts ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KElHSX2yo#

Let me know if that makes it any easier

cheers

TrekMD

guest5466

Thanks!

I will have a look around this nice looking forum tonight ;)

TrekMD

Quote from: "jimmy2x2x"I will have a look around this nice looking forum tonight ;)

Please, do and enjoy!

zapiy

Thanks for joining pal, will have ago on this at the weekend.  :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Quote from: "jimmy2x2x"Thanks!

I will have a look around this nice looking forum tonight :113:

and delighted you've joined us here at RVG, we have a great crew, like a classic breakdance crew lol.

Moon walks backwards out the door........

zapiy

Got to say what a cracking little game you made here fella.. Yes i am struggling but i am definately getting better and better. :113:

What was your inspiration to make a game and why this type?

guest5466

Hi glad you like it!

A little background first...

Ive been into retrogaming for a little while now, being an old school games programmer from the 80's - It has always been an interest of mine, sometimes a passion!

Over the last couple of years I have built a couple of arcade machines, one is the cocktail type, which I have managed to sneak into the front room, just has MAME on this one, 14" vertical CRT monitor.

The other is a large upright with a bit of a frankenpanel!  2 joysticks, 6 buttons each, trackball, spinner, admin buttons etc.. Its ok, but looking back, I might have done it differently..

This upright cabinet was the reason for me looking into Amiga emulation as I wanted this system on my upright machine, the Amiga is a very complex machine to emulate with lots of versions of hardware, games on multiple disks, different control schemes etc.. I wanted to integrate the Amiga seamlessly into my arcade setup, so you just click on the game and it runs.

This adventure led me to EAB forums and with excellent support from some very talented programmers and forum members, I got all my amiga games working perfectly on my arcade machine, seamlessly integrated, running at a silky smooth 50hz refresh on a crt monitor!Woohoo pixel perfect sensible soccer on an arcade machine ;)

After all this was finished, I started to remember how nice it was to code on the Amiga and wondered what the development situation was these days, I used to code on devpac using a single amiga for all development.

WOW - cross development is now really amazing on the amiga - assemble, link and run your code in about 1 second!
Run it in Winuae - so its all sandboxed - if anything goes wrong, it will just crash the emulator at the very worst, no need to reboot the PC or worry about corrupting any source files etc... A world away from how I was developing in the 80's..

Then I thought about a simple game to make for the Amiga, something simple that I could code in my spare time and something that had a classic status but never had a decent version on the Amiga..

After lots of thinking and lots of research I decided on a childhood favourite, Bruce Lee.

I'm rambling a bit here, let me know if I should continue!

zapiy

Brilliant story fella, sounds like you have a nice arcade setup, I am looking into getting myself setup with a cab or two in the near future.

I would love to have the time to code something like this but the addy just blur into the next.

Ever thought of making some homebrew games that run on arcade hardware?

guest5466

I would love to code something on arcade hardware, Love Dungeon had a bit of learning curve as I was using tools that I hadnt used before, but I still had some of my old assembler knowledge and quickly refreshed myself about the amigas custom chips.

Im not sure what documentation exists for different arcade hardware and what development tools are available.

I enjoyed coding and will be pushing out a few different projects over 2015, im looking into all kinds of interesting tools and libraries, unity, opengl, sdl etc..

coding is a big time sink, you have to put a lot of effort in, especially assembler programming.

zapiy

There is loads of talk here http://www.ukvac.com/forum/arcade-homebrew_forum53.html i would obviously love to get RVG involved in some action, someway if you do.