Author Topic: RVG Gaming Collective: Member input required for Jan 2015 st  (Read 5932 times)

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
RVG Gaming Collective: Member input required for Jan 2015 st
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »
There has been some discussion recently of an idea I had to bring some group gaming sessions to the RVG boards.

The plan is to kick this off in January so register your interest and propose some ideas you'd like to see, here.
(This is somewhat of a repost from another part of the forum therefore some of you may have already seen it, however, it makes sense to have its own thread)

In the meantime we already have the Carol Vs the World Championship running this month, with a dedicated RVG league, so go check that out and get some scores on the board.
Access to the game is provided in the main page of the thread so it couldn't be simpler to join in.

Ok, so to try and get the RVG Gaming Collective running I'm going to propose a format and an example with some further ideas.
Please comment on anything you like/dislike but remember the aim is to keep this as casual as possible for the time being. We don't want to fall into the trap over complicating it from the start.
I'm encouraging member input at this point.

RVG Gaming Collective

The Aim:
To bring together like minded retro gamers for casual gaming sessions and to actively play and discuss chosen games periodically.

The Premise:
  • Based on 1 game every 4 weeks.
  • Week 1 will be used to propose and select a game to play.  I'm not sure of the selection process yet, this could be by a poll of classic games per developer/publisher or a random selection of member suggested games.
  • Weeks 2 - 4 will be for game time.
  • Original hardware and emulation to be used. On this premise, games should be chosen to reflect the current state of emulation. I want everybody to be able to get involved.
  • The game chosen will be the subject, not the hardware, therefore all ports of the chosen game (if any) can be played.
  • Any competitive aspects can be proposed using a games unique attributes e.g. high scores for Galaga, speed runs for Sonic etc..

Example
  • The game, Shinobi, is chosen from a list of classic Sega arcade games by member poll
  • Any and all ports of the game are played and enjoyed at each members discretion
  • Discussion topics arise regarding the games merits, shortfalls, port quality, difficulty, nostalgia, emulation quality, etc.
  • Any high scores and/or bonus stage successes are logged in the threads first page
  • We all decide how much we like Shinobi
  • Rinse and repeat with newly selected game

Further Ideas
  • Occasional special features can be incorporated e.g. USA Vs ROW competition, holiday specials, regional releases UK USA JAP etc...
  • Member reviews of chosen games submission
  • Homebrew challenges
  • Games chosen by member retrospectives. Classic games chosen by members with reviews, synopsis and why its special to them.
  • RVG Gaming Collective could evolve into 1 game every 2 or 3 weeks with the selection of the subsequent game running in parallel.

Thats not exhaustive but its a start. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RVG Gaming Collective: Member input required for Jan 201
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 14:59:41 PM »
It all sounds good, great job putting this all together Joe :)

As far as choosing the games, how about the week before a new one starts allow anyone to submit a game idea and at the end have a vote to see which one we go with?

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 20:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply Shadowrunner. I do like the idea of members submitting game request but theres one flaw I can see with it then going to a poll; everyone will just vote for their own game, lol.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 22:01:50 PM »
Quote from: "JoeMusashi"
Thanks for the reply Shadowrunner. I do like the idea of members submitting game request but theres one flaw I can see with it then going to a poll; everyone will just vote for their own game, lol.

Yeah that's a good point! Maybe if you limit submissions to members who had the top 5 scores in the previous game or something along those lines?? That way there would be a lot more people voting then submitting.

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 22:12:22 PM »
I'll play if I own the game, but I'm not going out of my way to play along, such as downloading and setting up an emulator etc...

So, if the game chosen is one I have on cartridge/disc, I'll probably join in for the session.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 22:29:05 PM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
limit submissions to members who had the top 5 scores in the previous game

Thats a neat idea and could also add a bit of incentive too. Noted :-)

Quote from: "64bitRuss"
So, if the game chosen is one I have on cartridge/disc, I'll probably join in for the session.

Thats fine mate. I'm just glad you intend to join in. Hopefully you have a large collection :-)

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 00:22:46 AM »
Quote from: "JoeMusashi"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
limit submissions to members who had the top 5 scores in the previous game

Thats a neat idea and could also add a bit of incentive too. Noted :-)

Thats fine mate. I'm just glad you intend to join in. Hopefully you have a large collection :-)
Quite big yep.

Online TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 00:58:21 AM »
Like Russ, as long as I have the game, I will certainly try to be part of it.  In my case, it has to be time-permitting as well, given my work schedule. 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
I think time constraints for most people will be a huge factor, myself included. This was the main reason for the proposal of 1 game every 4 weeks. It will give people plenty of time to join in and even enough time to source a hardware copy of the game if its not the collection.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »
Thinking about it, maybe a more suitable name would be RVG Game of the Month

Its more indicative of the format.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
I see what some of you are saying but try and look at this as a learning experience as well. If I don't have the game then I will do it via emulation even if I don't have it installed because that's part of the fun for me.

Also on a poll you make people choose two games and that way you should get an overall winner.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 14:52:46 PM »
Personally I really don't like using emulators, mainly because I can never get them to work properly, so I will be looking to play the actual game on actual hardware if possible. I don't have every game obviously but I do have most consoles so if it's a game I don't have and it doesn't break the bank I'd be willing to pick up a copy to play.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 15:12:19 PM »
Ok so let's always try for the majority that own a certain game?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 15:54:28 PM »
The game chosen will be the subject, not the hardware, therefore all ports of the chosen game (if any) can be played

This.

Let's not get hung up on this and if you don't have it but have a sequal say, play the sequal - I'd still be interested.

Offline DZ-Jay

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.CarolVsGhost.com
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 16:16:49 PM »
I'll play if I own the game, but I'm not going out of my way to play along, such as downloading and setting up an emulator etc...

What about downloading and running a simple "installer" package that sets up the emulator without fuzz?  Would you oppose to that?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal