A Gremlin in the Works - The biography of Gremlin Graphics

Started by Greyfox, December 03, 2014, 18:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

Some more updates

Hope @mjhardisty might pop on to fill us all in a little bit.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Looks amazing, but and its a small but... The text within the book, text should not be carried across the pages in the manner from the previews, but done in double columns or even triple columns, I've seen a lot of book recently fall into this trap, mind included and have addressed them all now and look exceptional more professional for it, so this is just a suggestion to help his book be considerable more intoning to a much more professionally presented product.

If you read this Mark , I would be happy explain in more detail what I mean via pm etc.

guest5491

I'm looking to cut-off contributions to the book this month and have been able to secure an editor that will whip the book into shape after that. It currently stands at around 700 pages thus needs someone to really focus the content. That said we have talked about a special "Director's Cut" that we possibly could release digitally that contains as much information as possible.

The pictures pulled from the site in the above post cover Teque Developments and Krisalis, formed by ex-Gremlin employees, never-before-seen concept artwork for the Playstation 2 mega-game EXO, concept art from Simon Phipps for Switchblade and marketing artwork for The Way of the Tiger.

All of that layouts are drafts really - it could change - the emphasis for the moment is getting the textual content correct.

Greyfox

Wow, that sounds amazing , have you any guidelines to how much the book might be at retail at page counts of that number? I also think the directors cut is a smashing Indra, maybe have some multimedia elements embedded into the PDF version, or if you decide on an IBook version. These are always brilliant read and have.

guest5491

The look, feel, RRP and the rest I suspect will be dictated by either a publisher or the print costs and logistics if it goes to a Kickstarter.

Whichever the process some form of digital version, or multiple digital versions, along with a Gremlin digital archive - containing all the "stuff" that I have which may not make the book - will be available.

zapiy

Brilliant stuff Mark, really looking forward to seeing this come out now.. So by the sounds of it your still undecided whether to take the Kickstarter route?

guest5491

zapiy

Yes i think it is, I am sue whatever you decide it will a huge success.

zapiy

Just announce that Bitmap Books will be publishing this book...

Great work @mjhardisty

zapiy

Latest update from @mjhardisty

QuoteALMOST!

We are now in the home straight for the book. Mark Green has worked tirelessly to edit the initial draft down from almost 500,000 words into a coherent narrative for print.

I've worked with Sam over the last couple of weeks to put together a few great perks that will be available to purchase along with the book. Speaking of which, Sam's publishing empire, Bitmap Books has created a lovely homepage for A Gremlin in the Works:

http://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/a ... -the-works

Sam has also worked tirelessly to move the design of the book onwards whilst juggling additions to his family, his catalogue, his ZX Spectrum book (looks ace BTW).

So, as the last teaser here is a video showing a print of the first HALF of the book, 1983 - 1989. Hope you like what you see - there are plenty of reveals in this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-4E8pqn38

Greyfox

Yeah seen this, looks bloody great, delighted it's on its final stretch now, another booming to read and cherish, quality work Mark.