My SMS Collecting thread.

Started by Lorfarius, November 17, 2014, 17:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorfarius

TrekMD

The collection is coming along very nicely!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Lorfarius

Went to the Retro Collect Market in Leeds this morning. Spent about £150 and pretty pleased with what I got, was hoping to see a Golden Axe Warrior tucked away but it was not meant to be :(  The best I found was Hulk which is a truly terrible game but sells for £20 up and I saw it for the same in mint condition. Shop was called gunstarheroes and I've met him on a few forums, I spent about £40 and he gave me a couple of Xbox games so very chuffed with the pile!

And now I've run out of shelf space. Wasn't expecting to get so many MS games!  I've been hesitant to buy Sega Cards because there's about 10 of them at £25 a piece on eBay but I couldn't resist with Super Tennis being just £10 so looks like I'm going after them now as well!

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Wow, that's quite the set of games you got there! 

onthinice

Nice! It is neat to see some games have different covers then here in the States. Rampage is a nice change.

Lorfarius

Too many damn games after this weekend! I've got a whole pile of Xbox titles to get through but I slowly started on the MS ones.

Incredible Hulk - Not like its name. Weirdly its pretty quick yet the main character is too slow and pondering, you do get to change to Banner at points but it seems to be forced on you. Couldn't get much past the first stage so best say no more :lol: I'm glad I have it because it's one of the expensive rares but don't think it will get much playtime.

Rampage - God this is fun even if a bit easy. On my first go I was able to get through 5 stages before losing a life but it looks great, plays brilliantly and I think is a great port.

Cool Spot - I always wondered why 7Up killed this guy off, he's awesome. The game is really bright and colourful it's such an amazing port of the MD game, if you squint the graphics would fool you into thinking it was on the MD.  It's an average platformer but then I wasn't expecting much from it anyway.

Sonic - Not sure why it's taken me so long to play this. Was the only game I had as a kid for 4 months at one point, weird to think that 20 years later the muscle memory for jumps is still there. Great game.

Vigilante - Just feels like an updated version of Kung Fu from the arcade, enemies are cheap and plentiful so ideal arcade fodder. Bit annoying at home.

Altered Beast - I was expecting this to be bad....but not this terrible! The screen is meant to scroll slowly yet it flickers along whilst the enemies fly at you en masse, almost impossible to survive when there's more than a few.  It looks great I'll give it that but sadly it doesn't have the "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE" voice sample.  People seem to hate the MD version to but as a kid it was my first ever game for the system. I played it to death and could get through without taking a single hit, leaving me to think it's a great game even after all these years. The MS version is just woeful doesn't matter if its PAL or US the speed makes zero difference.

Ben

That's some collection.  There are still Sonic fans who swear by the SMS version of Sonic 1, I do think it's criminally overlooked compared to the MD version.

zapiy

Nice write ups on the games so far fella.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Lorfarius

Certainly one of the rarer games as it only pops up every couple of months, especially with manual and box.  There's been a few seller that stick silly BIN prices on and I made the seller an offer of £12 (they had it at £10) they turned round and said I could have it for £18 which I felt was too much so said I'd just wait.  Placed a bid for £10 and won it without anyone else bidding!

Just need Zaxxon 3-D to complete all the Z's in my full set.

TrekMD

Shadowrunner

That seems pretty cheap for a rare game that doesn't come up that often. Are SMS games not that pricey compared to other retro consoles?

hamie96

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"That seems pretty cheap for a rare game that doesn't come up that often. Are SMS games not that pricey compared to other retro consoles?
I'm pretty sure the Master System doesn't have near the following compared to the NES, Genesis, etc. Not a lot of people collect for it.

Lorfarius

The most expensive games range from £250 to £500 and there's a fair few, so a full set is pretty pricey.

avick

Quote from: "hamie96"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"That seems pretty cheap for a rare game that doesn't come up that often. Are SMS games not that pricey compared to other retro consoles?
I'm pretty sure the Master System doesn't have near the following compared to the NES, Genesis, etc. Not a lot of people collect for it.

Maybe not in the US, but this side of the pond is a different matter.  There's plenty of people out there collecting for the SMS, myself included.