Author Topic: Old but keen  (Read 1434 times)

guest5326

Old but keen
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Hello all. Been browsing here a while and read a few threads that I might like to post in. I'm old enough to be classed a 'retro', spectrum 48k, C64 and on and on through the usual 'progression'.

Just recently got myself an X-arcade dualstick and rekindled my gaming fun with the latest mame set. Been having immense fun with the x-arcade and for the first time in 30 odd years managed to blow up the base in Scramble. I think this was finally down to having a decent stick to play it on. My 1980 attempts failed probably due to a lack of 10p coins.

Feel quite chuffed about my recent Galaxian high score 13550 until I check the world leaderboards and see how lacking in skill I really am - at least my game is over in 5mins and I can have a sup of beer before trying again. I just seem to have a skill block at waves 4 and 5 which overloads my hand-eye data transfer bus and I fail. Wife seems completely baffled as to how I can enjoy the repeated torment but I do.

Cheers.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Old but keen
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
Hi and welcome to RVG!  Glad you decided to join us.  Congratulations on your personal high score for Galaxian.  In the end, you just have to compete against yourself.  :) 
Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 14:22:32 PM »
Hello and Welcome to the site!

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 14:53:41 PM »
Welcome to the site. I picked up an arcade stick a while ago too so I know what you mean. Those old arcade games are so much better with one  :113:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 15:41:13 PM »
Welcome aboard fella. Glad you decide to take the plunge and join us.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 23:00:09 PM »
Hi!

You appear to have a similar philosophy as me when it comes to being lousy at games. More chances to drink beer between the frequent 'Game Over' screens, lol.
The Spectrum mention is a plus point too  8)

Welcome to the forum

guest5326

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 22:19:56 PM »
That philosophy probably doesn't help towards high scores either. I find just 1 large beer will take the edge of my already average skills. I even manage a swig between waves on Galaxian.

I don't have a beer usually playing modern stuff but it seems to be a normal association with old arcade games. What's the galaxian scores round here out of interest?

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 22:28:29 PM »
I was always pretty pants on this game lol.. You can set a score here
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal