Dead of Knight 2600: I'm the developer. Here's my game! An

Started by theloon, September 24, 2014, 04:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogstandard

TrekMD usually posts notice on the latest homebrew games.  In this case, I'm the developer as well as the topic starter.  Ask any questions you want and I'll try to answer them as best as I can given the time of day and sobriety level thereof.

Dead of Knight was a horror movie released in 2010.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1367177/

In March of 2013 Director Joe Grisaffi put out a call to make an Atari 2600 pack in game for the DVD release.  Over 6 months later DoK the game was ready for production.  A few months after that Joe put the DVD/Game combos for sale on eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEAD-OF-KNIGHT-Atari-2600-Homebrew-Game-and-Movie-/390859427184

In 2013 it was demonstrated at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

I've got a YouTube play-through of the first round here:
Pre-release Playthrough Dead of Knight Atari 2600

TrekMD

Cool, thanks for creating a thread about it.  So, was the run for this game originally only done on Ebay?  Is that how the next run is going to sell as well?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

bogstandard

I'm not directly involved in the sale.  My guess is that Joe will continue to offer his combo pack on eBay and Amazon.  If he gives me advanced notice I'll definitely post that they're for sale again.

Usually a game/movie combo like this is put together by a fan of a film and distributed on their forum of choice.  In this case the creator of the film contracted me out for the official game.   Thus the direct sales via eBay and Amazon.  In some cases this has led to some confusion.  Some websites have continued to list the game as TBA instead of released!

TrekMD

That's OK, thanks.  I've never seen this movie.  Is the game based on a particular scene of the movie?

bogstandard

It follows from the possession of the jock in the gym to the slaying of various characters the film.  Finally, it ends with the capture of Marla by the evil Queen.  Not the greatest plot summary.  Basically, it tries to encompass most of the film through play (even major locations.)

That's actually a big difference between a developers perspective and a director.  Typically many 2600 games choose a scenario within a story and wrap a game around it.  With Joes game design you actually play through various scenes including invading the professors home to regain your armor and shield.

TrekMD

That's cool because it tries to encompass more than just one aspect of the movie. 

bogstandard

Quote from: "TrekMD"That's cool because it tries to encompass more than just one aspect of the movie.

There's also an inherent risk.  Atari 2600 games are known for "pick up and play".  This is definitely a game that requires a manual.  Joe and I really thought hard about the objectives that had to be achieved.  Game flow goes something like this:

1. Find the professors house and enter it.
2. Grab your armor and sword.
3. Kill professor.
4. Find and kill 3 other victims.
5. Find and capture Marla.
6. Drag Marla inside the Mini-Putt Castle.
7. Fight the Queen (top down shooter style)

This is all played out in a game world with 25 screens (not counting inside buildings).

TrekMD

So, in that sense it is a movie-based game like ET.  You have to read the manual to play it.  And no, I'm not an ET hater.  :)

bogstandard

Quote from: "TrekMD"So, in that sense it is a movie-based game like ET.  You have to read the manual to play it.  And no, I'm not an ET hater.  :)

A big part of what Joe and I tried to avoid was punishing the player like E.T. did.  No annoying time penalties for falling in pits and such.  For instance, while you are searching for the Professors house no policemen will try to harass you.  If you let a victim escape no harassment there, either.  Searching for stuff should not bring a stressful anticipation of penalty.

Not that there's isn't a sense of urgency!  If you take too many hits from policemen the final boss battle can be pretty risky.  Finding and approaching victims requires one to find your own method and hone it.

TrekMD

bogstandard

Yep.  Finding a good approach is a multilevel affair.  In order to find good game-play you need a good working relationship with your project partner.   Joe had ideas and vision befit someone who has been a director, writer and actor (among other things).  I had the grumpy stubbornness of a developer and unsure laziness of an amateur!

The Atari 2600 is a severely constrained system with fascinating and frustrating quirks.  Joe would suggest features and I would either find a working solution or suggest a workable alternative.  There was a great deal of attention paid on each-others side to feel out how important certain aspects were.   For instance: Joe wanted the typical 3 life tokens to represent health.  Due to the way collision works on the VCS this was nearly impossible to get right.  We settled on a life bar that would let the player take more hits and make it to the final boss.

TrekMD

It would be cool to see the events surround development of a game like this chronicled.  :)

zapiy

Have to agree that would make for great reading or viewing.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

bogstandard

I could do something describing the game progress through time.  Maybe per game build I handed to Joe.  It would take awhile as I did this over 126 times :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "theloon"I could do something describing the game progress through time.  Maybe per game build I handed to Joe.  It would take awhile as I did this over 126 times :)