Author Topic: Pole Position Arcade Port to the Atari ST  (Read 9495 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Pole Position Arcade Port to the Atari ST
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 19:43:27 PM »
Nice one GF.. Keep us posted.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 21:56:42 PM »
Okay you wanted to be kept posted , so here it is..there has been an update to what has being happening and what the status is..so here it is folks...

I can only apologise to the fans of this project that have been waiting for news for the last 18 months.

I've spent much of this time trying to carve out some spare time to work on this project, with very little success. So rather than drag things on for a further unknown period of time, I've made the difficult decision to publicly release the work-in-progress version of the game immediately. Even though it's unfinished and a bit buggy, I'm hoping people will gain some kind of interest and enjoyment from

So here's what's in the disk image:

Auto-booting STE conversion of Atari/Namco's Pole Position arcade game (just insert disk and boot machine);Requires STE, 1 Meg and joystick (only tested on Steem, assumed to work on real STE but tell me if not!)Game mechanics are virtually complete - rolling demo, qualifying session and race session are all in;Uses reverse-engineered game logic from original arcade game;However, high score table, some graphical niceties and all sampled sound from the arcade version are missing;Basic YM engine sound and some other beeps are present;Makes use of STE blitter chip to provide a smoother frame rate;Over 16 colours on screen (probably around 24-28);Uses software sprite scaling (uncommon in ST games) to draw cars and roadside objects.
Controls - press fire on joystick to start game, up to accelerate, down to brake, left/right to steer and fire to toggle lo/hi gear.

Ignore the "August 2014" date on the booting screen - this build is representative of much more recent progress.

Feel free to play the game, distribute/upload the disk image, write reviews, reverse engineer, capture videos/screenshots, ask technical questions - whatever really. As with most ST stuff nowadays, this has been a hobby project with no commercial value, so I can't really think of any type of usage that I'd object to!

Pole Position beta Atari STe can be downloaded here

So it seems the ST has being getting some amazing attention of late and is o ly the beginning,  there will be a special Atari ST related  announcement nearing the end of the month, so yep a great time to get into this wonderful machine and see all it has to offer.

Offline Vadergb

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 23:22:24 PM »
I've just seen the 2015 build and it looked great then. Anyone tried it yet? I've not had an ST for years, my last one would of run this as it was a late 1mb STE I bought for peanuts from Dixons (£45 brand new), I sold it a year later for £150 to a guy wanting it it for midi work.

I loved Pole Position in the arcade. And the music and audio was emense.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 23:32:35 PM »
I will be playing it 2moro , will give my full verdict, and yes like yourself I was an avid fan of the arcade original. Such great times and great memories of that era back in 1982..nothing can match those days

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal