New Atari 2600 Homebrew - Pac-Man 2600 4K

Started by TrekMD, August 30, 2014, 00:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Just when you think you've seen the ultimate version of Pac-Man for the 2600, you find yourself surprised.  Atari Age member DINTAR816 has been working on a new version of Pac-Man since 2007, on and off.  Well, he's decided to finish his work and here we have the fruit of his labor.  Check out the video below and you'll be blown away by this game.  The AI closely resembles the arcade, the graphics resemble the arcade, and the sounds are something to behold.  The binary was posted today and you can find it below.  This game is still in development, so be sure to check this thread over in Atari Age:  New pacman for atari 2600.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

That is a thing of beauty. That guy should be proper proud of that. Great stuff. Looking forward to a game over the weekend.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

That's for sure!  I'm hoping he decides to increase the size of the ROM and that he adds a nice title screen and the intermissions.  That would really make this a killer Pac-Man game for the 2600.  :)

onthinice

Just downloaded and will try it out. Thanks!

TrekMD

Quote from: "onthinice"Just downloaded and will try it out. Thanks!

You'll be impressed.  :)

TrekMD

Progress on the game has continued.  The latest binary has the intermissions added.  A new 8K version is also being worked out with the goal of also adding a title screen. 

sloan

Are they planning a new cartridge release with the intermissions? I bought this on cartridge when it came out and would like the intermissions added to mine.

TrekMD

This is not the same version that was sold already, sloan.  This is a totally different version programmed by someone else.  The developer is working on both the 4K and a new 8K version. 

sloan

The linked aa thread in the first post includes a youtube video called Pacman2600 4K. I bought Pacman 4K. Not the same game by the same person? The graphics look highly identical.

TrekMD

Quote from: "sloan"The linked aa thread in the first post includes a youtube video called Pacman2600 4K. I bought Pacman 4K. Not the same game by the same person? The graphics look highly identical.

Nope, not the same game.  Sound is quite different.

TrekMD

A new 8K version of the game is now available. Be sure to check out the original thread. 

TrekMD

DINTAR816 has posted an update regarding the 8K version:

Hi everyone, here is a new update of this game.
In this version I modify the "kernel" to put all the "HMOVE" at cicle 73/74, now the black lines are no longer seen on the left. :)

I have also made the screen where are the names of ghosts / monsters (a test), but still lack the final part, this screen appears when "pacman" loses the last life or when pacman lost in the demo. ;-)

And finally I'm doing the last part of "AI" of the ghosts that had not yet done, is when ghosts / monsters will come out of the "home". Now they come out depending on a number of dots that "pacman" eat, or a time of 4 seconds (3 seconds at level 5), although still not as in the arcade, (is more complex) then I will try to make it as is.

TrekMD

Here is a new update from Dintar:

Hi all, a new version available.
In this version I have done some optimizations in the code, I've also added the option to change the color of the maze with the left difficulty switch (A = 84, B = 86). ;)), just missing an option screen.

Starting from now I'll take care of the most important things as the sound (improve intermission music), the "fast corner" and finish the code for the behavior of the ghost / monsters in the house. :-D

I have taken some time to update this game because I've been working also in "mariobros" (or perhaps plumber bros or plumber man?), I've been changing the code completely (the kernel mainly). ;-)

Download Here:  Development Thread

guest5638

So, by classes with the correct code, is that primarily talking about the table, and making sure it actually works?

TrekMD

Here is a video review of the 8K version of this game...