Let's Compare Chuck Rock

Started by TrekMD, August 16, 2014, 17:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Chuck Rock is a side-scrolling platformer which was initially released in 1991 for the Atari ST and Amiga computers by Core Design.  In the years that followed, the game was ported to various other systems by other publishers.  The story of the game has Chuck's wife, Ophelia kidnapped by a bully called Garry Gritter.  Garry takes Ophelia to a dinosaur graveyard and it is up to Check to rescue her.  He has to cross primeval jungles, swamps, lakes, an ice-capped mountain top, underground caves, and even the insides of a gigantic dinosaur to find her. So, how do all the versions compare?  Let's find out...

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Vyothric

Having played several versions of this I'd personally recommend the Mega Drive version of Chuck Rock 1 and the Mega CD or Master System version of Chuck Rock 2.

TrekMD

Cool.  I'm thinking of getting the cart version of Chuck Rock and the CD for Chuck Rock 2.  The CD version of the original doesn't seem to add much from the cart version.

onthinice

The Super Nintendo version is not bad either. Maybe because that is the version I own but have played the Sega CD and would recommend it if you do not have the cart already.

TrekMD

The CD is hard to find and expensive.  The cart is easier to find for Sega. 

onthinice

Ok. I did not know about the price. Forgot Chuck Rock was released in a box. I miss the old boxes over the plastic cases but the boxes tend to hold value better.

TrekMD

Chuck Rock II is easy to find on CD, though. 

onthinice

A friend of mine used to have both. I bought B.C. Racers because I heard Chuck and Chuck Junior were characters you could choose.

Funny I bought B.C. Racers because of playing the first two games but never bought a copy till stumbling across the Super NES version of Chuck Rock. Glad Chuck II on CD is easy to find now. It is a fun game.

TrekMD

Yeah, I just bought Chuck on cart and Chuck II on CD on ebay.  :)

onthinice

zapiy

Great game and like Vyo i can vouch for the Megadrive version but i would say the Amiga one was the best for me personally.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I've tried out the Genesis version I got and I've liked it.  I still have to properly play the sequel on the Sega CD.

TrekMD

Here is a new video looking at this game and comparing various versions...